Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

kansas deer hunting

Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default kansas deer hunting

A couple buddies and I were thinking about taking a trip to kansas for the rifle season this upcoming year. I was doing a little research (feel free to correct me if im wrong) and found that you apply for zones, so I was wondering what the odds were that we would get tags for the same zone. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! We are just trying to do a little research before we dive into it. Any help would be great!thanks!!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bucksniper14
A couple buddies and I were thinking about taking a trip to kansas for the rifle season this upcoming year. I was doing a little research (feel free to correct me if im wrong) and found that you apply for zones, so I was wondering what the odds were that we would get tags for the same zone. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! We are just trying to do a little research before we dive into it. Any help would be great!thanks!!
Good here you can get the low down http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunting its the official state web site.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Really easy to get tags all in same unit if you dont go to the far west as those tags are a little tougher to get as that area has some Mule deer in it.........

Good Luck
BMW
Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kansas has a "group hunt" application. If all of you get drawn, you all get drawn, if not ALL get drawn, none of you draw in. That might be an option for you.

Kansas 2014 Non-Resident Draw Statistics

Here's an idea for how many permits were issued per unit this season. I'd say that it's probably not a real great indicator for where a guy SHOULD apply, simply because of the diversity of the units. Many of the units that didn't issue a large number are simply units that aren't desirable for hunting. So keep that in mind.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some friendly advice: some of our areas, particularly here in the NE got hit with blue tongue/EHD and numbers are down in sone areas. Be sure to do your homework. They've mentioned perhaps adjusting doe permits, season lengths, etc. next year. Nothing's official and they're still waiting for some harvest counts before they do anything.

It didn't affect my hunting at all, but have friends who hunt a county over who had a devil of a time. It makes sense, because where i hunt, the water sources are pretty much stable, and that affects the disease. Their water sources not so much.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you all for the advice so far! I was wondering where is the best place to find a good and accurate map of wiha land? Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering where is the best place to find a good and accurate map of wiha land?
Here's the page to keep an eye on. They'll update the atlas for next year. I'm guessing you could get a hard copy mailed to you.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us