Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Could this be the buck I never found? >

Could this be the buck I never found?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could this be the buck I never found?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default Could this be the buck I never found?

In archery season I shot a nice ten point and he literally walked off after the arrow hit him. While tracking we ended up jumping him. We ended up never finding him in the days later on. Could this be him?? It looks like there is a scar on the side of his stomach. Could that be from a muzzy 3 blade? Could this be the buck I never found?-wgi_0194.jpg

Could this be the buck I never found?-wgi_0204.jpg

Could this be the buck I never found?-wgi_0220.jpg
Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Had you stuck an arrow in the spot on that deer's side, it is highly unlikely he would be walking around eating right now.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

only way possible is if it was a hard quartering away shot, if the arrow glanced off the rib and went foreward into the pocket in back of the shoulder but outside the ribcage, yes it is possible but not likely
RR
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very, very doubtful as the other two mentioned!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Had you stuck an arrow in the spot on that deer's side, it is highly unlikely he would be walking around eating right now.
I agree, at that spot, it's highly doubtful that he'd be anything other than buzzard butter by now!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Spike

In the unlikely event a shot in that area was not lethal I would be surprised if it could heal up and look like that that quickly.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like that placement would clip the back of the lungs and the liver. No way the deer survives that. He might make it far enough to screw up an easy recovery, but the internal bleeding would be significant.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking at close range with elevation its possible.

I do agree with everybody that looks like a lethal shot BUT deer have proven me wrong about that more than once. I have seen deer killed that had obvious scars right through what looked like a sure kill zone.

For example a 5 yard shot for 20 feet in a tree and that shot may not be lethal IMO.

Last edited by rockport; 12-28-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing deer full out sprint through cover so thick that we can't even see into it.......I'm surprised they aren't all covered in scars.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I'm thinking at close range with elevation its possible.

I do agree with everybody that looks like a lethal shot BUT deer have proven me wrong about that more than once. I have seen deer killed that had obvious scars right through what looked like a sure kill zone.

For example a 5 yard shot for 20 feet in a tree and that shot may not be lethal IMO.
Ive seen some strange stuff too...I sunk an arrow in spike and he just walked off never to be seen again. It jumped like I scared him and I watched as he walked over the hill.

heres a elk that looks like what an arrow shot...the Deer in the OP looks more like an antler hit..
Attached Thumbnails Could this be the buck I never found?-elk-bow.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.