Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to land the big one

Old 12-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default How to land the big one

I have a buck that only seems to come around at about 245 in the morning. the latest in the morning ive seen is 415. Is there any way to see where he roams around later in the mroning. any advice?
Old 12-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

If he's several years old he's laying down by hunting hours and will probably not be seen unless he's on a hot doe during the rut. I'm assuming this buck you're talking about is a good mature deer and if it is that's why he's big!
Old 12-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Unhuntable

One hunter surveys his land with quite a number of trail cams. He marks some as night movers and unhuntable. If he sees it fine. He just doesn't count on a night appearing deer.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Spike

im new to hunting and ive been told that its a good size. for rhode island.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Spike

these are him. seem to be a night dweller?
Attached Thumbnails How to land the big one-wgi_0011.jpg   How to land the big one-wgi_0012.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

He's nice, but has a year or two of growing to do until he's good mature buck!
Old 12-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Spike

so hes probably out during the day somtimes?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817 View Post
so hes probably out during the day somtimes?
2 ways you will kill that buck and both of them are dependant on him making a mistake, hunting pressure or human activity has made him nocturnal, he still makes his rounds only its sometime between last light and before dawn.

If he happens upon a doe in estrus as top stated he may stick with her to win breeding rights

If he has a good night with the ladies he may stay for one last round and be forced to go to his bedding area in daylight hours.

other than those 2 reasons he will be bedded in cover by 1/2 hour before first light, chance of seeing him are slim but you won't kill him if your not in the woods.
RR
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jrichards that's a very nice buck, good luck.

I agree with others, the best chance of getting him or seeing him is counting on a hot doe to draw him out.

This buck I saw on November 3rd chasing does, never to see him, until he showed up on my cam numerous times but all at night
Attached Thumbnails How to land the big one-big-buck3.jpg   How to land the big one-big-buck1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Banned

they don't get big by being stupid. once hunting season starts he very well, may lay up during daylight hours. doesn't mean he will not ever come out during daylight but he may not.

try going into his home at night and sitting till daylight, closer to where you think he may be bedding. might work might not. but if what your doing ain't working it can't hurt to change tactics. jmho.
fortune favours the bold. I'D rather make something happen then wait for it to happen

Last edited by kidoggy; 12-28-2014 at 07:20 AM.