Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Time to Lay Corn

Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Spike

Default Best Time to Lay Corn

What's going on everyone? In my situation I'm wondering when the best time to lay corn is. Problem I have is I can only make it out to hunt on Saturday. I'll get out to my section of land around 5 am and in the tree by 530. I'll leave that evening after I'm done hunting. I've been laying corn around 11 am once I'm done with my morning hunt and have a few hours to burn. My worry is I'm leaving my scent near where I want the deer to come right before hunting that same section 3 hrs later. Hard and costly to lay it during the week since it's a hour drive one way and being a full time student and working 30 hrs I don't have all the time in the world neither. What I've been doing is just scattering a 50lb of corn near my stand. Also just instead my feeder last weekend but only holds half the bag. So, keep laying it like I've been or open to any other solution. Thanks Guys.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

are they eating it? if yes then you're good.
are there tracks? if yes then you're good. theyll be back.
is there some corn left when you come back every Saturday? use less
is it all gone when you come back every Saturday? use more
deer don't care about your scent as much as you've been told
they just know your hunting there EVERY Saturday!
the big buck aint that smart, just smarter than you are right now.
don't take that as a hit. he lives there you don't.
if you are a novice deer hunter you will learn more from your mistakes than you will ever be willing to learn from somebody else.
when the snow or wet ground will cover the sound of your footsteps still hunting beats sitting in a stand.
get together with some buddies on a deer drive.
there are many ways to hunt deer that would be much more productive and fun than sitting in the stand.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 AM
Spike

Deer are still hitting the corn every week. In numerous photos I have 5 does in one photo. Also a Couple of spikes and one six point. Once the semester is over I'll make it out there two if not three times a week. What would be your recommendation on laying more corn down? When I get there in the morning all the corn is gone which is why I put more down or I would just leave the area alone.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

if you can get it cheap keep putting it down. and put more if its gone.
if youve got daytime pics on the trail cam it should happen for you even if you can only get out saturdays. but get another stand site at least then youll have two and you can switch between them.
and you dont have to be up in the air. if you dont have another stand build a natural blind and establish a new bait site.
but youll get one. dont worry.
keep it baited and hunt the wind.
you dont always have to worry if all of your corn is gone, deer will still come to your bait site to see if there is any there. but since there isnt they wont stay long or come where you want them.
youre probably doing everything right though dude its just a big waiting game.
you cant always blame it on some factor no matter how much you want to.
it just doesn't come together most days.
the deer and the woods are far better teachers than anyone, we're all still learning to some extent and the bucks are still doing things to slip by even the best hunter.
try your best to cover some more ground though, hike 10 miles if youve got big enough state land for it might not get a buck but its more fun than sitting in the stand. and you still feel accomplished. i hate going home after sitting in the stand all day and not seeing anything. but thats what it is man. make an adventure out of it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

its alot easier to kill does and yearling bucks over bait.
hiking in deep anywhere youll usually see good bucks.