Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting land how to

Old 10-10-2003, 08:52 AM

Default hunting land how to

I' d like to know if any of you guys have any tips for gaining access to hunting land. It is so hard here in NJ to get access. Places that do allow hunting are being grabbed by large hunting clubs who pay huge amounts of money. I mean like $10,000 for four hundred acres! I have two options, one is to hunt a place just me, my dad, and my son. OR my club can afford to lease a property we just can' t pay the thousands of dollars other clubs pay.

Any ideas as to what to say or how to approach people would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting land how to

Dress neatly and politely knock on the landowners door and ask permission, I also have a permission form that not only do they sign, but I sign a copy also that states I release them from any liablity and accept full responsibilty for any damage I may cause to their property.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 AM

In Iowa we have a plat book which listes all the land owners in an area. When I find a new place I would like to hunt I use it to find out who owns the property and then just like Taz said knock on thier door. Do not call it is easy to turn you down over the phone. If you have a young son take them along, alittle sympathy goes a long ways sometimes
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a young son take them along, alittle sympathy goes a long ways sometimes
I can not beleive I left out my secret weapon, I take my twin daughters with me, they will be hunting soon, and it shows that you are a responsible adult.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:44 AM

I agree with all the posts. Be polite and honest, tell them that you are a safe hunter and will not hunt near their home. Bring a signed release form so that they are not liable, and a homemade apple pie or cake doesn' t hurt your chances either!

Make sure to stress that it makes you mad that hunters who trespass or disrespect the land when they are hunting gives all hunters a bad name and makes it hard on the good ones.

I know many landowners, and trespassing hunters, who even when confronted act like they have a right to be there, make landowners not want anyone at all on their land.

Good Luck!
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start trying to find land owners early on in the year. by the time hunting season rolls around land owners are going to be up o their ears in people wanting on your land.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:16 PM

Ive heard of people making a " Hunting Resume" shows how long they have been hunting.. successes.. what kinda weapons they use.. If they have taken saftey courses, who hunts with them, and show them a valid hunters license when approved for their records maybe.. If nothing this year try next year early say spring offer to help cut the grass, tend to the cows, etc.. you scratch their back and they will scratch yours
Old 10-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting in NJ is very difficult w/o access to private land. We hunted state land for years and never shot a deer and always had tons of guys around. My buddy asked me to join his club in 1994 and now I pay A LOT of money to hunt but basically score a deer every year and have my own stand/etc. It does stink b/c much of the good land is off limits due to local restrictions or anti hunting home owners. I tried knocking on doors yrs ago but it never worked. We always got access thru friends and family until joing the club. In fact, I have never shot a deer in nJ on state land nor has my father or brother. Not knocking state land but it is a lot more difficult.

I' m in ZOne 2.
Good luck.

Bob
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m sure anyone who lives in the country and owns property can outbake and cook the best of us. Maybe a gift certificate to a nice restaurant or a fine bottle of wine or whiskey if they indulge would be the ticket. Also offering to share in any game harvested would be a nice gesture.

Quick Reply: hunting land how to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.