Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

308Win ammo for deer?

Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

thicker jackets would slow expansion not cause the bullet to break up
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
thicker jackets would slow expansion not cause the bullet to break up
RR
RR.., thinner not thicker. Wouldn't the thinner jacket cause it tear up? If I remember those bullets were sheading their jackets before adequate penetration and the cores were tearing up.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
RR.., thinner not thicker. Wouldn't the thinner jacket cause it tear up? If I remember those bullets were sheading their jackets before adequate penetration and the cores were tearing up.
yup, that would do it, sorry misread your post
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Yup they had some issues in the 90's. IIRC Rem made the jackets thinner on the 150g 30 cal. bullets and it didn't work out so good. Maybe the same thing on the 7MM?
That's the only thing I can think is they used to be thinner. ? Back when I used them in my .280, the 140's blew up on contact. I had two episodes in one season and called it quits. I think that was probably around 1987 or 88. My buddy started handloading the 139 Hornadys for me the following year, and they work awesome.

When my son started hunting at age 9, the .243 we got came with 2 boxes of them. Since I don't personally reload, I figured lets try em. I made sure all his shots good quality kill shots, and they worked like a charm. Truthfully up until that time, I had the same feeling about CoreLocks. Now, not so much. Every deer is dead, most didn't go far.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

168gr Barnes tipped tsx, worked for me from deer to bear to moose
Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Spike

Have hunted with a .308 Ruger 77 Ultralight tang safety for years. Couldn't decide between 150 grain or 180 grain. Tried different factory loads, and found the one it shot the best was the Federal Premium 165 grain BTSP (Sierra bullet) their P308C load http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=303

Have shot in excess of 20 Wisconsin whitetails with it, 13 of them bucks, all chest or shoulder shots. Have not lost a deer, and only one went more than a couple steps. Lots of DRT deer. Bullet almost always exits, and would leave a good blood trail. The one that went a bit was heart shot and went about 75 yards and dropped.

Got a nice 10 ptr this year, 30 yard shot, only went 3 staggering steps. Bullet did not exit however on this deer. Did not butcher it myself, so unsure what it hit that stopped it.

I would go for a heavier bullet, either a 165 grain or 180 grain just for the insurance of getting an exit hole. Shot placement is the key, but sometimes in the heat of the moment shot placement can be off just a bit, and to me the bit of extra stoutness of the heavier bullet may make the difference between an exit hole or not. That exit hole really makes a difference in tracking. Even a heart shot deer that runs 75 yards in brush without snow can be hard to track without enough blood, and only having a entrance hole doesn't tend to give much blood.

Last edited by cv540; 12-13-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

My dad has the same ruger ultra light with a tang safety in 308, he uses 150 rem corelocks shot probably a dozen deer with it none took more then a few.steps longs shot probably 200 yards that deer droop in its tracks. All of them the bullet existed, all shot behind shoulder, one or two event through opposite should and bullet existed. Shoot the core lock ammo in a bunch of different rifles and calibers.

Last edited by Bbj270; 12-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

This is how I pick my hunting ammo for deer. I buy a cheap box of ammo. American Whitetail by Hornady, remington corklockts, winchester power-points, federal blue box, fusions. Shoot someone see what shoots under an inch. Then use those for the deer. A dead deer will not know the difference wether it is a high priced barnes to a low price remingtion corelockt. Currently I use 130gr Hornady Interlock in the American Whitetail brand. Around $20 a box and shoots sub MOA. Now of course elk, bear, moose a good bonded bullet.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't tell you the exact number of deer I killed with my .308 using remington 150 grn coreloct bullets. I know it was over 35. Most of them went down where they stood and those that didn't did not go more than 25 yards befor dying.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Spike

Im using REMINGTON 700 SPS Warmint. For me it is the best in the Whitetail deer hunting.