Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

308Win ammo for deer?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, unless mandated by law, premium bullets, or solid copper bullets at 308 velocities are a waste of money, under 3000 fps impacts are the perfect medium for cup/core bullets. especialy for light thin skinned game such as deer.
RR
Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are trying to outlaw our "toys" - until then they are trying to make it harder to get "batteries" for our toys !
Old 12-06-2014, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer aren't bullet proof. Just about any of the popular brands of ammo in .308 will cleanly take them. Get several different brands and shoot them to see which your rifle prefers and then buy several boxes of them. Or start to handload.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I hand load Speer 150gr. mag tips for all my 30 caliber rifles except the Model 94 30-30.

Al
Old 12-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

150g PSP coreloct, the same in my '06. But I haven't hunted deer in quite a few years with either on of them cartridges.

Last edited by jerry d; 12-06-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Spike

I've been using Hornady 150 grain SP in 30/06 that my uncle reloaded for me. VERY impressed with these bullets. Every deer I've shot has dropped on the spot. All were chest shots with lots of internal damage to lungs and heart and no exit hole even at 50 yards.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a ton with Hornady SP/BTSP. They work very well and are my go to bullets.

My son uses Rem CoreLock's 100gr in his .243, they have worked perfectly every time and he's killed 12-15 with it. My daughter killed her only deer with it. I have found two bullets just under the skin on the off side over the years, they mushroomed perfectly. Can't complain about them Corelocks, though I know plenty of folks seem to not like em.

I took my 7x57 out a couple weeks ago with Rem CoreLock 140's, shot a doe that was bedded in deep snow. All I could see was the face and white patch. Aimed for the middle of the white patch, and she was done in the bed. Blew a real nice hole out the back of her neck. Can't complain about performance like that out of any factory bullet.

Many moons ago - like close to 30yrs ago when I first started hunting, I had a bad experience with CoreLocks blowing up on a deer's shoulder that was hit broadside. That was when I switched to Hornady handloads. I'm guessing in all that time they have improved them. ?? They seem to work for us as designed now...at least on whitetail anyhow.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 308 Win. almost exclusively for white tail and ahve for decades ... 165 gr. Sierra Game King is my choice
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I've killed a ton with Hornady SP/BTSP. They work very well and are my go to bullets.

My son uses Rem CoreLock's 100gr in his .243, they have worked perfectly every time and he's killed 12-15 with it. My daughter killed her only deer with it. I have found two bullets just under the skin on the off side over the years, they mushroomed perfectly. Can't complain about them Corelocks, though I know plenty of folks seem to not like em.

I took my 7x57 out a couple weeks ago with Rem CoreLock 140's, shot a doe that was bedded in deep snow. All I could see was the face and white patch. Aimed for the middle of the white patch, and she was done in the bed. Blew a real nice hole out the back of her neck. Can't complain about performance like that out of any factory bullet.

Many moons ago - like close to 30yrs ago when I first started hunting, I had a bad experience with CoreLocks blowing up on a deer's shoulder that was hit broadside. That was when I switched to Hornady handloads. I'm guessing in all that time they have improved them. ?? They seem to work for us as designed now...at least on whitetail anyhow.
had 2 core-locks break up on deer from a 7mm/08 in the 90's, don't use them anymore
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup they had some issues in the 90's. IIRC Rem made the jackets thinner on the 150g 30 cal. bullets and it didn't work out so good. Maybe the same thing on the 7MM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.