Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to put blind?

Old 11-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Where to put blind?

Hey guys. I have a 50 acre lease. A river runs right on the border of it. And this lease is in south texas, so aince the river runs near it, its not brush at all. Its thick woods near the river and kind of open woods farther away from the river ( you can see for about 100 yards at most). My question is where should I put a pop up? In the thicker part or the somehwat open?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

well, this is one of those situations where you have to scout to find the best spot. nobody here can tell you where to put a blind up or if there are even deer in the area to begin with.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Spike

Yeah but I dont really know how to look for sign. I see trails everywhere with deer tracks so I dont really know where to start. I think ive seem some bedding areas in the thicker stuff but thats just a guess
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say you're in a good area to begin with if you see a lot of tracks.

Follow them into the thick stuff (shelter) and the heaviest traveled trails and find what you can find; food and/or bedding - you already know the trails to the water !

We'll look for your future posts with what you found ?
Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

post an aerial photo and then I can help you ....
Old 11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Spike

Alright ill get an arial photo. Thanks guys!
What exactly does a bedding area look like?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hog212
Alright ill get an arial photo. Thanks guys!
What exactly does a bedding area look like?
usually thicker areas or even tall grass , they will also bed in corn or sorgum fields..
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your hunting scouting at the same time put your blind where you can see as much area as possible then if you blind is out of place based on what your seeing move it and keep fine tuning your spot. set up some cameras to if you can narrow down a little better.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Spike

I have a tripod setup in about the middle of the property closer to the neighbors property than the road ( the property isnt that wide) , and what confuses me is I always see does to the left about 100 yards away close to the road
but every buck ive seen has come from the right, off of the neighbors property
Old 11-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hog212
I have a tripod setup in about the middle of the property closer to the neighbors property than the road ( the property isnt that wide) , and what confuses me is I always see does to the left about 100 yards away close to the road
but every buck ive seen has come from the right, off of the neighbors property
That's really not confusing because most bucks with any age on them will be in the thicker areas where they feel safe unless the rut is in full swing and they're out chasing a hot doe. I'd have the tripod set up within decent shooting distance of where you say you're seeing the bucks if they're coming onto your 50 acres from the neighboring property. It would also be a good idea to gain prior permission from your neighbor to retrieve a deer you shoot that may not expire until it goes onto their property when you only have 50 acres of your own to hunt on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.