Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snow breaking hunting Blind

Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snow breaking hunting Blind

My new blind was destroyed by snow laying on top of it. How do you guys prevent this from happening, without taking the blind out of the woods every time you leave?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Other than to collapse it or take it with you when you leave, there isn't much else you can do. Those things were not made to hold a snow load.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of pop up blind? I have 3 of the Ameristep DogHouses and I always put the roof support poles up and have not had any problems so far!! I have had upto 8" of snow and no problems as long as I have the poles in place.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Put a good support pole (2x4) notched in the top end so it will hold the roof poles up in place where they crisscross if it's a blind built like the Ameristep Doghouse that I use. When you get in it if there is any snow on top of the roof sections all you need to do is tap up gently on the fabric until the snow slides off. If there is going to be a very heavy snowfall, you'd better take it down though because even with the pole support they aren't made to hold a whole lot of weight like heavy, wet snow.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-29-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I always leave a Primos MonoPod in my blind carrying case. This doubles as a center support pole when placed on the seat of my chair and telescoped to the center hub support of the roof. That and when I leave I close all windows and drop that mesh screen as low as it will go. Leave it up and it catches snow.
I have done this on my Double Bull which is 11 yrs old.
Works just fine.
JW

Last edited by JW; 11-29-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

another way of avoiding too much weight on the roof of your blind would be to snug it up into the trees a bit. overhanging branches might be enough to reduce the amount sitting on the top, certainly better than it being in an open area.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Spike

Blind roof support pole works well! It better or I am in trouble!

Hutch
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good tips thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha , the hunters wrote the script

Most blinds under 100 or 200 dollars are not meant to last in 24/7 woods environments.
Ole hunters that expose blinds to weather, prepare ahead how to repair blinds. They expect relatively small dollars gets small dollar repairs.
And they're some hunters, who laughingly, expect warrantees.