Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I use my feeder

Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default Should I use my feeder

What's going on guys new to the site and also new to hunting. I have a nice six point on camera and was wondering if I would use my feeder. He's appearing on camera around 5 to 530am but was wondering if I should set up my feeder to try and draw him out. Hoping that the sound of the feeder will condition him to know it's feeding time and have him come out later. My fear is I've always heard from a older hunter that some deer are feeder deer's and some aren't. He mentioned you'll never get a big buck with a feeder. Currently just laying down a 50lb bag each weekend. If I do install the feeder I don't plan to hunt till next weekend since I'll be out of town. Hoping they'll be use to it by then
Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

if it is legal go for it.... set the timer to feed twice a day for 5 seconds the corn will last longer, make sure you set the timer to go off 30 min after sunrise and 30 min before sun set, at least that is rule I use on properties where baiting is legal..

I see most on here are staying away from this one....lol

Last edited by ojibwa; 11-27-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, the feeder

Some states its legal to hunt over; some states its illegal. Definitely would use one in Texas. Too much land there and too few food places.

Most times I wouldn't use a feeder. Too cheap to buy a feeder and spend all the time carrying bags and bags to a feeder. The human smell starts spreading to the feeder, reducing visits or maybe turning the visits nocturnal.

And once a good size buck visits a feeder, with photo proof, it means a two, four, eight hour sit. Sit and wait; wait and sit. The deer might come; the deer might not come. Sit and wait; wait and sit. Some hunters just love those feeders.

A navy corpsman, ha, should experience it once. Personally, I never trusted deer to come to one spot over every other place.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-27-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
Most times I wouldn't use a feeder. Too cheap to buy a feeder and spend all the time carrying bags and bags to a feeder. The human smell starts spreading to the feeder, reducing visits or maybe turning the visits nocturnal.
My feeder holds 40 gal of corn about 250# I set it the way I normally do and the corn will last from 2.5 to 3 months..Theed on my baited properties are subject to use the feeder 24/7/365...
I do see your point with a small feeder though.. I also have to add I do not hunt over feeders I just use them to supplement and keep deer around...

BTW.. O.P if you have a acorn crop all bets are off deer will almost allbut avoid corn till acorns are gone same goes for food plots..
Old 11-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Spike

I think I'm going to stick to just laying down 50lb bags of corn. I have a six point on camera who keeps hitting my corn each morning. It's funny though because my step father loves feeders who's been hunting since a teenager but also have another friend in my club who also has been hunting awhile that says big bucks don't eat from feeders. Kind of torn but maybe next season I'll try the feeder.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by USN Corpsman
have another friend in my club who also has been hunting awhile that says big bucks don't eat from feeders. Kind of torn but maybe next season I'll try the feeder.
I have some pics from KY that say otherwise... do what is legal and ethical to you and don't let anyone else influence you..