Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

would you be for???

Old 12-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Move back to Michigan!!!
You can use your bow to hunt deer as long as you have the proper tags from Oct 1st to the end of the special private property doe reduction season Jan 1st.
As a bonus if you own land to hunt on in my area you can buy 5 doe tags per day over the counter.

Al
Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Move back to Michigan!!!
You can use your bow to hunt deer as long as you have the proper tags from Oct 1st to the end of the special private property doe reduction season Jan 1st.
As a bonus if you own land to hunt on in my area you can buy 5 doe tags per day over the counter.

Al
I thought about it but my little southern belle wife couldn't handle it..lol

I have actually been looking at land in the Northern LP and it's relatively cheap as long as you stay away from the NW part.... ie TC north..

Last edited by ojibwa; 12-02-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Then you will have to buy a NR tags.
Didn't shop well for a wife. Mine would follow me thru heaven to hell to be with me and I her pretty much.

I looked around the area east of T/C After talking to realtors and others decided I didn't need that crap during deer season.

I bought near Rapid River UP. Very seldom ever see another hunter that isn't a guest at my place and those are few and far in between.

Fire arm season closed Sunday, UP reports success rate is the lowest it has ever been, down 37%. Well Da with 30 inches of snow just before the season opened at my place we didn't go. A friend in Bessemer who lives there told me 52 inches day before the season opened.

Al
Old 12-02-2014, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Then you will have to buy a NR tags.
Didn't shop well for a wife. Mine would follow me thru heaven to hell to be with me and I her pretty much.

I looked around the area east of T/C After talking to realtors and others decided I didn't need that crap during deer season.

I bought near Rapid River UP. Very seldom ever see another hunter that isn't a guest at my place and those are few and far in between.

Fire arm season closed Sunday, UP reports success rate is the lowest it has ever been, down 37%. Well Da with 30 inches of snow just before the season opened at my place we didn't go. A friend in Bessemer who lives there told me 52 inches day before the season opened.

Al
I like the UP I remember when you could buy good land up there for $500 an acre , my cousin bought 500ac back in the late 70s for $400 an acres..but those days are long gone.. I also remember when the avg snow fall up there was between 230" to 300" a year...

a lot of the properties I have looked at up there have seasonal rds that are all but impassible during winter..

I have heard the biggest issue in the LP was trespassing, back when I was a teen if it wasn't posted you could hunt it, now it seems like even if it is posted people "think" they can still hunt it..
Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yup so bold they trespass all the time. My brother sick with cancer last year didn't hunt. In Oct this year he went to the back of his woods and found a blind with a pad lock on the door. I would have just hooked on it and drug it to the ditch.
He called the law and they took it, probably for them selves.
He is near Leroy south of Cadillac on 131.

I always hunted the UP during fire arm deer season and the wife never went in the woods here at home. After my hunting partner passed away I never spent the whole two weeks in the UP. I would hunt in the back yard. Had a huge trespassing problem. After I told a guy I caught twice I said no more warnings. I started pressing charges and they don't trespass any more.
we have lake frontage IN THE up we paid 15.00 a foot.
Not to hard to get land all woods for 500 an acre in the UP these days. Land value there like here dropped 40% in 2008 when the ship hit the fan.

Al
Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Not to hard to get land all woods for 500 an acre in the UP these days. Land value there like here dropped 40% in 2008 when the ship hit the fan.

Al
wonder how much land you need to buy to get it fo $500 an acre, I need to do a little research.. I am guessing you would be better off not to deal with a Realtor and go straight to the land owner , Realtors have done more to drive up prices then anything all over the country..

I know because I used to be one..lol
Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hard to find for sale by owner long distance. We were dealing with Everett reality in Manistique, they would have a property that was about what we were looking for call us to let us know and leave the information in a mail box they had by their door. I would get out of work early Sat morning drive home wake the wife and she would drive the 6 hours to get there. We would pick up the information and drive to the wild land property look it over and make a offer if we liked it.
We happened down a off the beaten track road and saw a 4x8 sign for sale by owner to get what we finally bought. Would never have saw the sign if we had not been looking at a property for the second time and deciding to go to Escanaba for supper.

A guy I worked with bout property on a lake east of Manistique, just a lot for 18 dollars a foot.

Al
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't want this.

Saw some studies once that said to have gun season, especially rifles, outside the rut helps to promote the size of bucks. Antler size dropped seriously in states that had firearms legal in the rut.