Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old time deer hunting !

Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gjersy
in the late 70's / 80's in Wisconsin we used to meet at grandpa's house for pancakes real early, with the neighbors & a bunch of relatives. On drives we always had deer running around.
We did the same in northern MI where I grew up it was a big social event...

at 52 now I mostly hunt alone unless my wife come with me...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:33 AM
Fork Horn

This is a great thread you guys are right though young guys like me have never been on a deer drive shoot I had no idea what one was til recently in sw Missouri no one does drives of any sort really many just sit in a stand all day
Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I remember those days. Woolrich clothes, Sorel boots, butane hand warmers (for the sissies, ha ha ha). Opening morning sounded like a Civil War battlefield. Some of the older guys carried a Thermos of coffee with a little liquid fuel added, "just to warm me up". No treestands then, you sat in the crook of a tree if you wanted to be elevated. Most guys I knew shot a 30-30, a 30-40 Krag, or a 30-06. Remington 760 and Savage Model 99s were the guns of choice. Some of this I miss, some not so much.....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting in Sullivan County PA in 1982. A lot of drives and I remember seeing groups of deer in the 20-30s. However, they were all doe. You hit the lottery if one of them was a spike or a forkie.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am very fortunate to have several buddies with lots of land and we still do things a lot like that minus the driving. We don't do much of that but we still have a big group and we have a real good time.

We spread out over the farm to hunt but all meet back up for lunch and dinner every day and have some drinks after dinner. Its does fade a lot earlier in the night now a days though but we still have fun and its really become the only time we are all able to all get together.

Last edited by rockport; 11-24-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Grew up hunting in Venango County in Pa. Used to get up, deliver papers then be in the woods on a tree trunk by 4:30. Sat on newspaper warped in a garbage bag. Dad gave us a Hershey bar and some Smith brothers cough drops. Lunch was sandwiches on home made bread and hot chocolate from the thermos's. Supper was chili and home made rolls. Great times when 3-4 of us brothers all went with my Dad. Yep those were the " good old days" and will never come back.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Spike

Still doing it in W PA. I feel blessed that I have about 400 acres of private land to hunt between leases, relatives and friends. We still put on those drives and get a lot of deer moving. We've been pretty successful during buck season. 3 years ago, one of our group shot a buck while getting into position to drive, and then pushed another to me during the drive. Some days it looks like a train of deer running thru the woods and out into the fields. The 2 Saturdays during buck season are always action packed and exciting for our group. We don't have 20-30 people, more like 8-10, but we know the properties and where the deer lay down. The best spot doesn't get touched until late afternoon on the last Saturday. I enjoy it more each year.