Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Water (rain, snow) in the bore? >

Water (rain, snow) in the bore?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Water (rain, snow) in the bore?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Spike

Default Water (rain, snow) in the bore?

After reading this forum for a while, I decided to register and join the nice and knowledgeable folk here. I already have a question.

I have enjoyed hunting for many years, but just this past weekend, while hunting with my neighbor, I noticed something that caught my attention and made me wonder when it started snowing rather heavily.

I have hunted before when it had been snowing, but for some reason this had never raised any concerns: I saw snow settle and accumulate on top of the muzzle of my neighbor’s rifle. He was carrying his rifle with the sling over his shoulder and the muzzle up, and I wondered how much of the snow would eventually melt and dribble down the bore, and what adverse effects this could have.

As an immediate measure, I took my rifle, which I had also been carrying as my neighbor, and turned it around so the muzzle was pointing down, and carried it this way the rest of morning.

Other than the obvious potential rust problem if the bore were not cleaned promptly after returning home, what other problems could water in the bore cause? How much water would constitute a danger to shooting the rifle as such?

I also thought of cutting off one of the fingers off of the nitrile gloves I carry (but never remember to use!) and slipping it over the muzzle. Then I wondered if the cut glove finger would have to be removed before shooting, or if it would be OK to shoot with it on?

All these questions kept my mind busy while I was watching for deer; and no, I (we) did not see any that morning. Maybe I was distracted?

Thank you for your opinions.

Nando
Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a piece of masking tape over the muzzle if concerned. Finger cots can be used if the barrel is fat enough. This will work for muzzleloaders, shotguns, etc. Most centerfire hunting rifles have too slim a barrel.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Some masking tapes don't have very good "stick-um" and may fall off if it gets wet, or there is oil on the barrel.

I've covered the muzzle of my rifles for many years with Scotch tape or black electrical tape. It will not affect the accuracy of your bullet.

Dirt or ice in a barrel can result in the barrel literally blowing up wen the gun is fired.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
Some masking tapes don't have very good "stick-um" and may fall off if it gets wet, or there is oil on the barrel.

I've covered the muzzle of my rifles for many years with Scotch tape or black electrical tape. It will not affect the accuracy of your bullet.

Dirt or ice in a barrel can result in the barrel literally blowing up wen the gun is fired.

+1

That's that.....................

"If concerned"; as NATO said.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

All you need is two, 1" pieces of electrical tape. Stick one across the bore to seal out the elements. Then wrap the other piece around the barrel & 1st piece of tape, this will prevent the 1st piece from peeling back, losing its adhesion or otherwise fall off. .NO it WON'T harm a thing & when you pull the trigger it will be GONE before the bullet can reach it. Electrical tape CAN'T hold back the 25,000-60,000psi that your bullet will produce as it travels down the bore, moving the column of air that is in front of it plus all the heat & fire!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You probably don't want to know

how old GI's solved the problem.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

best thing I have found are those little latex finger condoms they sell at most drug stores similar to the gundom but much cheaper and you get a bunch in a package..

beats fooling with tape...
Old 11-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah sorry I was typing from my phone so I didn't address all the questions.

If using tape make sure you wipe the area you will be taping with a degreaser of some sort (alcohol, simple green, etc). Otherwise the tape won't stick.

Finger cots will only work if the barrel is fat enough. Most hunting rifles do not have a fat enough barrel to sufficiently stretch the latex so that it is snug fitting. So, in the end you will need something else to hold it in place.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Spike

Thompson Center makes an adhesive cover for the end of barrels, they are white with the T/C logo in red on them. I use them on the end of my muzzleloader when hunting in snow. Electrical tape works just fine too, the tape is blown out of the way before the bullet goes through it. Only use enough that it will stay on the barrel. Water in the bore can also cause accuracy issues and result in a poor hit.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Spike

Thank you all so much for your replies.

From now on, as suggested, it will be either the electrical tape, or a small latex finger.

"Dirt or ice in a barrel can result in the barrel literally blowing up wen the gun is fired."

This was my primary concern.

Thx!!!

Nando