Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What can i do better?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Spike

Default What can i do better?

I'm new to hunting. I have friends that hunt, but frankly they're not very good and don't hunt ethically much of the time. Not a good resource to learn.

I want to get into it because i've always enjoyed the outdoors and my entire wife's family hunts. While they hunt bigger game (elk, bear, weird crap in Canada) but i basically want to start with white tail. My wife has 10+ under her belt and took me out last year and while a saw deer they were small and poor shots so i didn't take them. This year i want to be more prepared. (i borrowed a shotgun, bought a tag and walked into a woods in street clothes with a hunters orange construction vest last year.

So i purchased:

Handi riffle 40-70 with weaver rings and a bushnell banner scope 4-9x

an o-ring adjustable deer call.

Deer piss

A5 Trail cameria

Areas i can hunt:

My parents have 5 acres about 3 is woods with a creek in northwest Ohio. Connects to a 25 acres woods hunted by one person. I've been trowing pears and acorns from my house and even dumped a pile of cracked corn in the woods. Obvious signs of deer. Set up a trailcam today. Disadvantage: Neighbor could be a d-bag about me getting a deer on his land

In laws 60 acres of woods, surrounded by corn fields. This is where i went last year. Disadvantage: Nice but WAY over hunted. Guy pretty much lets everybody in cause hes down for a good time. Is hunted from bow season till the end of gun consistently by 20+ people.

My aunts 70 acre farm with a creek running trough it. has maybe 5 rows of trees on one side, chest high grass for 25 feet on the other. Corn has been taken off. Nothing around but more corn fields and no one else hunts it 'as far as they know'

In laws 40 acres in west virgina, 20 acres in kentucky, and 20 acres in Tennessee. all woods. Disadvantage: meet transportation and out of state fees.

I really just don't know where to start. I'd like to hunt the corn farm with the creek because no one else is out there. It's in the middle of BFE. Clear shoots almost everwhere but i haven't really heard of people hunting a tree line. Should i invest in a cheap tree stand? Forget the deer call? 12 gauge or 45-70? any advice would help.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be looking at your parents' 5 acres, or your aunt's 70 acres. Deer will travel fencerows, especially during the rut, which is starting to heat up.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

You're parents 5 acres sounds like a good spot. Make sure you stay on their land. Aim for a double shoulder shot and that deer should hit the dirt quickly. If it does run on to a neighboring property get permission to bloodtrail it onto the property. 3 acres is very small, but if you're seeing deer there you've got a good chance of getting one.
-Jake
Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Spike

well i went shooting today and i can shoot 8 inch groups at 100 yards standing, a little better shooting on my stomach. Held the scope to close and made myself a pirate a few times.

I think im going to hold off my parents land until im confident i can down a deer without it running 100 yards.

Will a 45-70 stop a deer in its tracks most times?
I shot way better with a .243 but those arnt legal here.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Frankly, this poster does not pass the smell test! I suspect "someone you know" Is John Stark and is pranking people. Here is someone who borrowed a shotgun and now who allegedly bought a 45-70 but all of a sudden shoots better with a .243 that must have fallen out of the sky. He shoots an 8 inch group off hand at 100 yards but a little better on his belly, actually prone. Give me a break, this is someone who reads a little and weaves it into a story about himself. Too many similarities in the posts. Something stinks, and it is not cheese. It is a shame that good people wo are willing to help someone who asks are bamboozled by someone getting his jollies by pranking them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Spike

No im pretty much just looking for basic advice. I went shooting with people, I shot a 243. Believe it or not theres kinda alot to know if your not familer with all this stuff. Like I can walk into a woods with a gun and sit down by a tree. There is just so much information out there and I kinda wanted a good place to start. What equipment to get. Where to sit in a woods. Stuff like that. Like I get its not rocket science but I actually want to shoot something this year. Ive been practicing shooting, and ive shoot before I just never been hunting for anything but squirrels.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I like the part about getting a 45-70 and getting 8 inch groups off hand with it, YET a 243 isn't legal to use there.
What a load of B/S.

Al
Old 11-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Spike

K thanks for the advice dicks.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Spike

And a 243 inst leagal to hunt in ohio. Only pistol cartrages.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well sunshine, 45-70 is not a pistol cartridge. There are handguns that a .243 can be shot through and a couple that a 45-70 can be shot through, however, neither one is a handgun cartridge. You aren't going to be able to BS many people here, John Stark!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-09-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.