Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio Buck

Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default Ohio Buck

I am a hunter who has been archery hunting in eastern ohio for the past 3 years. Last year i encountered a monster that was wheezing and stomping at my little brother and i. I never could get a shot off and it was dark. Just yesterday as a tried to get a doe to leave my area before i left my stand i simply hit my grunt so it would leave the area. A minute or so after that, i heard the deepest grunt in my life. I have a mature grunt call and this made mine look like nothing. It was the same buck and was running around me and i only caught a glimpse. He seems to only come out at night. I also have pictures on my trail cam and they are all taken in the middle of the night. How should i hunt him? My dad has also seen him while leaving the woods ad he just seems impossible to get!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some bucks are nearly impossible to kill. Usually the only times you can kill these kind of bucks are in the rut when they may be trailing a doe.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Some bucks are nearly impossible to kill. Usually the only times you can kill these kind of bucks are in the rut when they may be trailing a doe.
I'm going to try using some buck Bomb tomorrow afternoon when I head in to see if that will pull him out any earlier than dark. But I'll take any advice at this point.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

They usually don't get that big by walking around during the daylight hours of hunting season. Your best luck is the rut will get him to do things he normally wouldn't do, like cruise during the day.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a drag line with some Doe in Estrous Scent on it,walk it in several yards before Your stand,then past it and circle around Your stand and hang it out in front about 20-25 yards within Bow Range!Rattle and grunt early in hopes he will show up before darkness?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Spike

Thank you all. I will be going out tomorrow and hope I can get him out of the brush.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Spike

i would try mid day with the full moon approaching. Sit from 10am-3pm. You just might catch him slipping, especially if he is chasing. When I sit from around 10-2 or 11-3 I see A Lot of deer during the rut full moon.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
i would try mid day with the full moon approaching. Sit from 10am-3pm. You just might catch him slipping, especially if he is chasing. When I sit from around 10-2 or 11-3 I see A Lot of deer during the rut full moon.
my dad was in my stand last night, and as it got dark 8 doe came out of the brush and he followed them out made a U about 60 yards away and walked right back in after checking out the doe. About 4 in browtine and its tines are easily 12" off its head with a 25"+ spread. He said it was bigger than his 12 pt he shot back in the day.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If stand hunting won't get him, you could team up with another hunter. One guy gets upwind of the area you suspect he's holed up in and makes a few swings through the area while the other hunter or hunters wait downwind on likely escape routes. The guy doing the walking needs to go slow. You want the buck to get up and walk out as opposed to jumping and running.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

patients, IMO if you have a buck like that the very last thing you want to do is chase him off. He'll make a mistake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.