Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Blocking scent / being on the ground / wind direction >

Blocking scent / being on the ground / wind direction

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blocking scent / being on the ground / wind direction

Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default Blocking scent / being on the ground / wind direction

Hey folks. I'm new around here. I was a member here many moons ago, but I can't even remember the username or email that was associated with that account.

I did a lot of hunting in my teens, and killed one deer. It was a larger doe. I've not hunted in about fifteen years, but I still have most of my knowledge and some old hunting clothes. I was thinking about going with a few friends this year, and I was just wanting to brush up on scent control and hunting in the right wind, since I mainly hunt from the ground or in a blind. I've been in a stand before, and I even have a few of them, but I feel more comfortable on the ground.

I remember using scent free laundry detergent and soap and deodorant when I hunted before. I could see the soap and deodorant, but scent free laundry detergent probably doesn't do much in a washing machine that has had nothing but regular detergent in it.. lol

I don't want to drop a bunch of money into scent blocker clothing at the moment..

Can you all provide any tips on washing what I do have and maybe some hygiene related tips to keep my scent out of a deer's nose as much as possible?

What is the best way to read the wind? I want to be sure I am hunting into the wind so I have a chance.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay down wind and save your $$$ on the scent suits.

A great way to "read" the wind is make you a "duster". I use a simple, small squeeze bottle. A discarded nasal spray bottle .... cleaned out ... works great. Anything pocket sized that you can use as a puffer. I use carpenter's chalk dust. Talc powder works just as well. I put a few grains of rice in the bottle to soak up some of the moisture and help break up any clumping. Just puff the dust gently and you can get a general feel for the wind's direction. Will not usually reveal swirls that are taking place yards from you, but still is a good helper.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Stay down wind and save your $$$ on the scent suits.

A great way to "read" the wind is make you a "duster". I use a simple, small squeeze bottle. A discarded nasal spray bottle .... cleaned out ... works great. Anything pocket sized that you can use as a puffer. I use carpenter's chalk dust. Talc powder works just as well. I put a few grains of rice in the bottle to soak up some of the moisture and help break up any clumping. Just puff the dust gently and you can get a general feel for the wind's direction. Will not usually reveal swirls that are taking place yards from you, but still is a good helper.
That's a great idea, thanks.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My hunting clothing gets washed in the normal stuff the wife uses although I have told her to not use the brightener stuff. Then they get hung out on the screen porch for a couple weeks. Before I had the screen porch they hung in one of those little barn type sheds for a couple weeks and out side on nice days to air out.
As for watching the wind I took some sewing thread about 6 inches doubled it to make a loop then ran the ends thru the U piece sticking thru the upper sling swivel's. All my rifles have that handy wind indicator on them. I like the heavier thread size as it will last longer and when it frays it works even better.

Remember they are hunting clothes not fuel filling, not restaurant going not bar hopping clothing.

Al
Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash your garments in baking soda and store them in a plastic tub with a box of baking soda. I've also heard of guys sticking cedar or pine needles in there to provide a cover scent.

Absolutely stay downwind or at least quarter it. I've seen numbers that suggest we lose tens of thousands of skin cells every minute. Only one of those will alert a deer and you can't cover it.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Wash your garments in baking soda and store them in a plastic tub with a box of baking soda. I've also heard of guys sticking cedar or pine needles in there to provide a cover scent.

Absolutely stay downwind or at least quarter it. I've seen numbers that suggest we lose tens of thousands of skin cells every minute. Only one of those will alert a deer and you can't cover it.
Not even by unscented soap? Only way to produce odor would be by sweating if it was hot while hunting, which won't happen as often as is being chilly or cold.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have a scent lok suit and when I wash that I just wash it with some scent free detergent in the bath tub so I can avoid any left over detergent in the washing machine. Then I just hang all my stuff outside to let it dry and when I am going somewhere or its inside the house I put it in a plastic garbage bag with some pine branches and leaves. Worked well for me so far. I've worn scent lok stuff since I started hunting and I'm convinced it doesn't help much if any. It is well made though. But as always playing the wind is the most important piece. I always wear unscented deodorant but I usually just brush my teeth with normal toothpaste. I have heard some guys will brush with baking soda so it doesn't smell like mint and you still get rid of your bad breath .