Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bonded bullets

Old 10-31-2014, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bonded bullets

I want to take high shoulder shots and different angle shots with youth 708 and 3006 from 100 to 200 yards

Any suggestions ?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been stated by others several times - it does not matter much which bullet for a Southern whitetail deer with the cartridges mentioned as long as you stay away from the very light and frangible varmint bullets. Varmint bullets either kill almost instantly or leave horrible wounds that will kill the deer sometime later from infection. We had a fellow show up at deer camp one season with a 7mm RM loaded with varmint bullets. He shot at a couple of deer that we found days later - he was not invited again.

I do like Accubonds as a basic hunting bullet, but nearly any non-bonded bullet would also do the job for a whitetail. Bonded bullets work well and mono-metal (as long as the impact velocity is high enough for expansion) bullets will work well. Non-bonded "cup-and-core" bullets will work well as long as the bullet weight is in the normal range and the velocity is not extreme.

Whitetails are just not that tough.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
As has been stated by others several times - it does not matter much which bullet for a Southern whitetail deer with the cartridges mentioned as long as you stay away from the very light and frangible varmint bullets. Varmint bullets either kill almost instantly or leave horrible wounds that will kill the deer sometime later from infection. We had a fellow show up at deer camp one season with a 7mm RM loaded with varmint bullets. He shot at a couple of deer that we found days later - he was not invited again.

I do like Accubonds as a basic hunting bullet, but nearly any non-bonded bullet would also do the job for a whitetail. Bonded bullets work well and mono-metal (as long as the impact velocity is high enough for expansion) bullets will work well. Non-bonded "cup-and-core" bullets will work well as long as the bullet weight is in the normal range and the velocity is not extreme.

Whitetails are just not that tough.
Last year at 70 yards I put a 3006 150 gr soft point through the lower part of a bucks shoulder.
Tiny exit and the deer went 20 yards
I was happy but was not impressed.

With a 150 bonded, boiler room at 200 yards?
or shoulder ?

I know heavier weights have more energy and less velocity

so out to 200 yards , velocity or energy ?

I like the idea of taking out locomotive muscles and vitals at once.

Thanks !
Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

A 150 frn Rem corloct will do everything you want to do. There are more cons than pros with a bnded bullet on soft skinned animals like deer. Do you know what a bonded bullet is?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
A 150 frn Rem corloct will do everything you want to do. There are more cons than pros with a bnded bullet on soft skinned animals like deer. Do you know what a bonded bullet is?
Yes sir I do !
Jacket and core are bonded to retain weight and stay together.
Federal does well in my rifle maybe because of the ogive
Haven't shot anything else through my vanguard s2 , bought it last year.
I have some cor loks , the ogive is a little different, I really don't know if this matters or not as far as good groups.

The cor lok jackets are locked to the core.

I am all ears !
I want to take locomotive muscles and vitals all the way out to 200 yards with an exit to bleed just in case.

Do I need speed or energy ?
I'm trying to grasp these ballistics and terminal effects.

I have sciroccos, cor loks, fusions and federal ballistic tips by nobler and I know the no nos of ballistic tips

Thanks, White Oak !
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about the Remington bullet. It has been doing the job well for many years.

However, I do not understand what you are trying to say about bonded bullets. There are no drawbacks of which I am aware with using a bonded bullet on thin skinned game unless it a bullet with a very thick jacket in the first place. Apples-to-apples there are no "cons" with a bonded core bullet.

I use bonded bullets quite a bit and have actual first hand experience with them on thin skinned game like deer.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I agree about the Remington bullet. It has been doing the job well for many years.

However, I do not understand what you are trying to say about bonded bullets. There are no drawbacks of which I am aware with using a bonded bullet on thin skinned game unless it a bullet with a very thick jacket in the first place. Apples-to-apples there are no "cons" with a bonded core bullet.

I use bonded bullets quite a bit and have actual first hand experience with them on thin skinned game like deer.
What caliber , shot placements , yardages and exits ?
Details !
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White Oak 06
With a 150 bonded, boiler room at 200 yards?
or shoulder ?
Either would do the trick. There are situations where I shoot for the shoulder but you are going to lose more meat with that shot. A shoulder shot does usually produce a shorter tracking job.

Some of the animals that I hunt require a shoulder shot due to the location of their vitals. For those critters a tough bonded bullet is a good choice.

A 140 bonded for the 7mm-08 and a 150 for the .30-06 and you are set for deer sized game and larger game also. With your cartridges you have plenty of energy. A heavier bullet is certainly not needed for deer.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

BU, my point was I have never seen a good quality bullet like a coreloct and other brands come apart on deer, they mushroom and do their job, I know the purpose of bonded bullets is to keep the core and the jacket together, I see not advantage to using them on deer.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

BU, my point was I have never seen a good quality bullet like a coreloct and other brands come apart on deer, they mushroom and do their job, I know the purpose of bonded bullets is to keep the core and the jacket together, I see not advantage to using them on deer.
I agree with that. The only bullet that I can remember coming apart on a deer was an older style Ballistic Tip that shed it's core on a buck that I shot on the point of the shoulder at 30 yards with a .25-06. Way too much impact velocity for the older BTs (the newer ones are much better). It still killed the deer deader than sympathy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.