Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Barnes bullets spin inside casing from the factory >

Barnes bullets spin inside casing from the factory

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Barnes bullets spin inside casing from the factory

Old 10-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Barnes bullets spin inside casing from the factory

Bought some for 3006, 708 and 270.
Will this effect ACCURACY ?
The 708 spins the worst !

I hope it won't , cause' I was really looking forward or this bullet !
Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

I see people posting about Barnes bullets a lot. Are these the "go to" bullets nowadays?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
I see people posting about Barnes bullets a lot. Are these the "go to" bullets nowadays?
After a decade of selling and using other bullets during my first decade of hunting I mostly switched to Barnes about 20yrs ago and seldom use or recommend anything else! Yeah they are THAT danged good, but honestly it's not just the Barnes it's their design. Essentially every ammo/bullet maker is now offering a solid copper/gilding metal/monolithic solid like the Barnes design and I'm sure they work equally as well. Initially the original Barnes X-bullets weren't known for their accuracy and typically the best they would do is 1.5"-2" groups at 100yds. That's FINE for "minute of deer" inside of a quarter mile but obviously when other bullets are capable of sub 1/2" groups then you kinda had to make a decision. Well in the late 90s Barnes figured out that by machining grooves into the bullet they would give the copper somewhere to "flow to" as it traveled down the barrel, they would also decrease pressure and accuracy would REALLY improve. Thus the Triple Shock was born! Now we COULD have our cake and eat it too!!! Then a couple of years later, as a response to the market, the Tipped Triple Shock was born. For a hunting bullet I could careless which I use, they perform the same. Barnes just put a tip in the TSX because "the rage" then (and even still today) was for a bullet to sell well it simply HAD to have a plastic tip in the nose.

WhiteOak, when you say "spin" how much force are you using to make the bullet turn in the case mouth? If you used pliars then that's a no-no to begin with. If you really had to "sit down on them" to get them to initially break free, then again you probably don't have anything to worry about. If however they ARE turning with simple finger force but AREN'T moving up/down (sliding in/out) of the case mouth then I doubt you have to worry about any firing issues but you DO need to worry about moisture getting in the case! Some neckbonder would help in that case or perhaps let a buddy who reloads take a look at them and perhaps he could run them through his crimping die to make sure they are up to snuff? (You DONT want bullet that you can push in or pull out of the case with simple finger pressure, besides the obvious things like malfunctions, moisture intrusion, bullet seating depth which can alter accurace etc... it can really effect case pressure which "could" potentially be dangerous in older weapons.

Sadly I now fear we are beginning to see the results of Barnes having been bought by Remington's parent company (Freedom Arms which is a division of the monster Cerberus Capital) about 4 years ago! I thought by their leaving the Brooks' in charge of Barnes that maybe that would keep everything "as before" but seldom to the Wall Street holding companies/investment bankers leave things "as is". Their egos and drive for lower costs force them to tinker, manipulate and otherwise screw things up royally! They've managed to screw up essentially EVERYTHING ELSE they've bought over the last 2 decades (Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin/H&R, Dakota Arms, DPMS/Panther, Parker, Para etc) and while I hoped they would leave their hands off Barnes, I fear that as well is coming.

GOD HELP US if/when the likes of Hornady, Nosler etc are sold to Wall Street suits...
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
After a decade of selling and using other bullets during my first decade of hunting I mostly switched to Barnes about 20yrs ago and seldom use or recommend anything else! Yeah they are THAT danged good, but honestly it's not just the Barnes it's their design. Essentially every ammo/bullet maker is now offering a solid copper/gilding metal/monolithic solid like the Barnes design and I'm sure they work equally as well. Initially the original Barnes X-bullets weren't known for their accuracy and typically the best they would do is 1.5"-2" groups at 100yds. That's FINE for "minute of deer" inside of a quarter mile but obviously when other bullets are capable of sub 1/2" groups then you kinda had to make a decision. Well in the late 90s Barnes figured out that by machining grooves into the bullet they would give the copper somewhere to "flow to" as it traveled down the barrel, they would also decrease pressure and accuracy would REALLY improve. Thus the Triple Shock was born! Now we COULD have our cake and eat it too!!! Then a couple of years later, as a response to the market, the Tipped Triple Shock was born. For a hunting bullet I could careless which I use, they perform the same. Barnes just put a tip in the TSX because "the rage" then (and even still today) was for a bullet to sell well it simply HAD to have a plastic tip in the nose.

WhiteOak, when you say "spin" how much force are you using to make the bullet turn in the case mouth? If you used pliars then that's a no-no to begin with. If you really had to "sit down on them" to get them to initially break free, then again you probably don't have anything to worry about. If however they ARE turning with simple finger force but AREN'T moving up/down (sliding in/out) of the case mouth then I doubt you have to worry about any firing issues but you DO need to worry about moisture getting in the case! Some neckbonder would help in that case or perhaps let a buddy who reloads take a look at them and perhaps he could run them through his crimping die to make sure they are up to snuff? (You DONT want bullet that you can push in or pull out of the case with simple finger pressure, besides the obvious things like malfunctions, moisture intrusion, bullet seating depth which can alter accurace etc... it can really effect case pressure which "could" potentially be dangerous in older weapons.

Sadly I now fear we are beginning to see the results of Barnes having been bought by Remington's parent company (Freedom Arms which is a division of the monster Cerberus Capital) about 4 years ago! I thought by their leaving the Brooks' in charge of Barnes that maybe that would keep everything "as before" but seldom to the Wall Street holding companies/investment bankers leave things "as is". Their egos and drive for lower costs force them to tinker, manipulate and otherwise screw things up royally! They've managed to screw up essentially EVERYTHING ELSE they've bought over the last 2 decades (Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin/H&R, Dakota Arms, DPMS/Panther, Parker, Para etc) and while I hoped they would leave their hands off Barnes, I fear that as well is coming.

GOD HELP US if/when the likes of Hornady, Nosler etc are sold to Wall Street suits...
I came across this on you tube and I thought I'd better check what I bought at the beginning of summer.
Just by my fingers I can turn them for the 708. Just a couple for 3006 and 270 win.
For the 708 I can spin all of them and 7 have been fired already without me knowing this. ( I did not use pliers. )

I called Barnes and it was said that if it didn't wobble or move in and out that I would be OK.

Well now I'm not so sure, I really like the idea of this ammo.

So what else can I do, bonded for my shoulder shots ?
Up to 200 yards , what velocities do I need for 708 youth and 3006 ?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people love the Barnes product, some do not. I certainly would not call them the "go to" bullet. My experience with them is that they need high impact velocity to be reliable, at least in calibers that are smaller than .338. As to accuracy, some rifles shoot them very well and other rifles will not.

I have shot game with them both in the U.S. and Africa. Most of the time they work great but there is still the occasional bullet that does not open properly or does not penetrate in a straight line. I like them for buffalo in a .375, but have had them not penetrate a warthog and a kudu in a 7mm. Go figure.

Any cartridge that has the bullet so loose in the case neck that it can be spun with fingers is a big problem.