Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethical bow hunting?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by smitrock
I'm not necessarily acusing anyone of anything, but, I've noticed year after year there seems to be certain people who always kill one or two really big bucks every year. As many hours as I've spent in a stand, it seems almost impossible, especially when the same person is always killing big deer. What's the chances they are killing them at night with lasers or spot lights, or, other nonethical ways?
What are the chances you ask? Well it would be best to go to Jimmy The Greek for the chances. Unfortunately he is dead. Poached in the night with a spot light.

You are reading way too much into this. Think about it. If someone bags a big bo they are much more likely to post that instead of a 100 lb. doe. So what you see posted is not an accurate reflection of total harvest of our members. I would venture to bet that only a small percentage of members bother to post their harvests.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Smitrock,while there is no doubt that poaching happens, far too often. However, most times you will not see a picture of a poached deer on the internet or in the newspaper, unless it is when the conservation officers catch the guy and make it public. Instead questioning the actions of successful hunters, you should be questioning, what are they doing that you are not to make them successful. I am not one of them, I am not enamored by large antlers, I hunt for fun, camaraderie and for my freezer. I know guys who chase big bucks, not just in season, they get to know what deer are around pretty much year round or at least from the time they push antlers. They know the deer, they know their patterns, which change and they know the best places to intercept them. They do not always drop the hammer but they sure stand a better chance than the guys who never scout, or rarely scout and who just go out and sit and hope for the best, which quite frankly is most deer hunters. People make their luck, it doesn;t knock on their front door most times. The guys you think are lucky continuously, probably are doing a lot behind the scenes you don't know about. In addition, when a hunter is patterning a trophy class deer, they don't talk about it, not even to their friends.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most often, not poached. 90% of the deer are killed by 10% of the hunters. Unsuccessfull people give up, here in NH, the amount of hunters in the woods at the start of our 4 week gun season is probably 5 times the amount in the woods at the end. Why? It's cold, they gave up for not seeing deer etc.

Habitually successful hunters put in their time, both before, after and during the season.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by smitrock
I agree with most you are saying, and maybe I'm just unlucky, but I hunt mostly all public ground so planting plots is out of the question.
Skilled hunters make their own "luck!"
Sure, I've seen the, "I did everything wrong, and a trophy buck walked out under me," stories! It happens, but not consistently! Sure there are poaching incidents. But sadly, many hunters that put in the hard work necessary to consistently take trophy sized animals are accused of poaching!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have mentioned. It's usually going to take scouting if your after a big one. They generally don't fall in your lap except on the rare occasion. You have to know what's in the area you are hunting and the deers habits & patterns. I personally hunt for sustenance & the enjoyment of the outdoors. The majority of people who kill big ones put in a lot of work. Also depends on where a person is hunting. Public land is different than a large piece of land where the owner has managed the herd and put out food plots, placed trail cams, etc. But yes, unfortunately poaching does happen. I never could understand why someone would do that. Then even brag like they took it legally. It's not only senseless but would be meaningless. Sort of like an empty threat or promise.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't think that is a very fair way to think for no more of a reason than they kill big bucks every year.

I guess maybe I'm naive because I just don't get it. I guess it just seems like that defeats the whole point of hunting a big buck but I know people do it.

This weekend I took a break from the deer stand to get in one more weekend of crappie fishing as the temps went up into the mid 80s. Anyway near the lake where I camp I guess somebody shot a nice 10 pointer with a bow and it died within sight of the road and some %$&*^#!! ran out there and cut its head off before the hunter could retrieve it.

I just don't know what is wrong with some people.

I still don't think its fair to make assumptions based on nothing more than they kill big deer every year....Lots of people do that the right way.
I don't understand this practice. Why would someone want to cut the head off a deer and leave the meat? I assume to mount but that costs money, you can purchase or find a mount if that's all you want.

I can see taking the whole deer, or at least the backstraps, that makes sense. I don't understand the other though. I kind of think those claims are exaggerated. Not saying your're a liar, but I think the rumor mill tends to exaggerate it. Some stories will claim a hunter shot a deer and just took the head and left the rest. At the hunt club I belong to, hardly anyone took the heads, even the big ones. It was all about the meat.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mcostan
I don't understand this practice. Why would someone want to cut the head off a deer and leave the meat? I assume to mount but that costs money, you can purchase or find a mount if that's all you want.

I can see taking the whole deer, or at least the backstraps, that makes sense. I don't understand the other though. I kind of think those claims are exaggerated. Not saying your're a liar, but I think the rumor mill tends to exaggerate it. Some stories will claim a hunter shot a deer and just took the head and left the rest. At the hunt club I belong to, hardly anyone took the heads, even the big ones. It was all about the meat.
Clearly you and I have had very different experiences in life because I don't find it hard to believe at all. I find a hunting club where everybody leaves the big antlers behind much harder to believe.

two very different cultures I reckon

Last edited by rockport; 10-30-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hunters who successfully kill deer every year hunt completely different than the average hunter. They hang stands in the winter for the next year, they scout during the summer through early fall and sometimes hang more stands. The never hunt stands of it's an iffy wind. They also won't hunt much of it's warm out usually they hunt the First week of the season, then wait only for cold fronts until they start hunting hard again during the rut. They hunt with minimum impact taking the best trail to get to their stand, that rarely means the easiest or fastest.. They put more time in than anybody else. Last year I hunted 60 of the 69 days in the iowa bow season and I was rewarded with a 156.5" buck as my first buck. This year I'm hunting smarter and I've already seen more mature deer. Patience is one of the biggest factors. You have to pass big deer to shoot BIG deer
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
Hunters who successfully kill deer every year hunt completely different than the average hunter. They hang stands in the winter for the next year, they scout during the summer through early fall and sometimes hang more stands. The never hunt stands of it's an iffy wind. They also won't hunt much of it's warm out usually they hunt the First week of the season, then wait only for cold fronts until they start hunting hard again during the rut. They hunt with minimum impact taking the best trail to get to their stand, that rarely means the easiest or fastest.. They put more time in than anybody else. Last year I hunted 60 of the 69 days in the iowa bow season and I was rewarded with a 156.5" buck as my first buck. This year I'm hunting smarter and I've already seen more mature deer. Patience is one of the biggest factors. You have to pass big deer to shoot BIG deer
Right, I have some different strategies than you. There is not necessarily only 1 right way but you have to be committed.

I don't scout summer or fall by design. I don't think the information outweighs the intrusion in my case because Ive hunted the same property for years and there really isn't much new information and what there is I will find in Oct hunting well ahead of Nov prime time.

I hunt terrain so it really doesn't change and often has very little deer sign. My hunting is based on how bucks travel in the daylight and knowing the terrain is usually way more important than seeing deer sign.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

To consistently kill big bucks, first you have to have em. Location, Location, Location.
Where I live/hunt, I would honestly have a hard time killing a big one every year if I was spotlighting. LOL. But its all good... you have to work with what you have.

I'm sure there are folks that do unethical things on a regular basis, just to show off what they got. Heck there have been several nationally known big names that have gone down for this. BUT... I do believe most folks are law abiding, and work hard for what they get. I have a couple friends that kill big ones every year...but they live where there are quite a few big ones so the odds are more in their favor than other areas.

Oh, and the deer lose their heads all along the roadways around here. I saw 2 like that last week, and the rut isn't even underway yet. I know in some states it is illegal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.