Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut Shot Deer Adventure

Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gjersy
The last i knew we can't use dogs for blood trailing deer in WI, unless there was a rule change, sure wish we could.
that is a stupid law/rule...no telling how many deer are lost because you cant use a dog.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Great to know you stuck with it and recovered him! Alot of people would have given up. Its always been my opinion that you dont pull the trigger unless your ready for whats next. You can track deer for days on end, and if your not willing to do that then you need a new hobby. Congrats!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
Great to know you stuck with it and recovered him! Alot of people would have given up. Its always been my opinion that you dont pull the trigger unless your ready for whats next. You can track deer for days on end, and if your not willing to do that then you need a new hobby. Congrats!
In a lot of places this time of year there is just not much point after so long though.

There would really be no reason to look days on end where I'm at right now.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ojibwa
that is a stupid law/rule...no telling how many deer are lost because you cant use a dog.
That is a stupid law. Hunters should be allowed to use any method to track an animal down after being shot. I wonder what their thinking was to come up with that? Maybe they think it could be abused by using the dog to hunt the deer. Not having the dog with you at all would solve that problem.

Just a guess.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The rules did change at some point in WI, just read in the rule book you can use a dog on a leash to blood trail a suspected dead deer. You just can't have a bow or gun with you while your blood trailing. I'll have to get my Airedale started on that.