Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams >

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Old 10-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

As I sat in the deerwoods today I wondered if trail cams have made hunting by natural woodsmans skill a thing of days gone by. Finding deer sign and using skill and experience to determine what left the sign buck, doe, fawn. Getting in range of the herd to get a visual, stalking and studying with your own eyes the animals you want to harvest.

Lets go hang a few cams and see what's in the area doesn't seen as "sporting" just to use a word, as using your woodsman skill to locate and ambush game not because a cam tells you it's there and what time of day or night but because you have seen with your own eyes what is in that area.

Not bashing trail cams or the hunters that use them... just wondering if we are losing a more traditional method of hunting. I myself love finding fresh sign and then being surprised when the encounter with what made it occurs.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Spike

I expect sometime in the future there will be remote mounted guns with cameras that can be setup so that a deer can be shot from a computer or iPhone in the comport of ones home. Or hey even while at work !

I just got back into hunting this year and can't beleave how commercialized hunting has got. Going online to pick out and pay for a individual trophy deer with price to harvest it on a deer farm is scary.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree,i'm not a fan of trail cams either. IMO there's no substitute for putting time in the woods.
To me it's part of hunting and something I enjoy doing.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, hunting skills are going away slowly. I wouldn't use a camera if you paid me.

Woodsmanship is being replaced by who's got the most money for gadgets.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Nimrods

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, hunting skills are going away slowly. I wouldn't use a camera if you paid me.

Woodsmanship is being replaced by who's got the most money for gadgets.
Muley, Your spot on. I'm not bashing the use of camera's. But there not for me either. I like to hunt the old way, scouting, a lot of it. still hunting when i can.I don't even use tree stand's any more, mainley due to illness. Ground blind's are fine. I think were losing a lost art form, Tracking, hunting savey.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

The loss of hunting land, not having anyone to teach you has a lot to do with dropping hunting skills.
Not having time to scout, etc etc etc.
Trail cams are a tool, like other tools, some just take it to extrems.
Hunting has become the sport of the people with money.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

In some cases. In other cases hunters have become lazy, and want everything easy.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cvahunter, there are already guns mounted to cameras that allow a person to unt from the comfort of their home using a computer, the future has been here for several years. I don't know of a state that they are legal in though. Trail cameras are no more than game counters unless they are thise a person can watch from an ipad and then go to where the animals are in real time. That would not be pegal in PA but you still have to catch them. The bottom line is, woodsmanship is going fast the way of the Dodo and soon there will be no one left to teach those coming on. I despise things like electronic calls, learn to use a manual call if you want to hunt. When every facet of hunting is taken over by electronic gadgets and gizmos it will no longer be hunting, it will simply be killing.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I wasn't sure how this thread would be received...looks like there are a few who know what I'm talking about. I guess us older generation of hunters don't hunt like they did in Fred Bears day either. In the end it is all about a successful hunt and having a good time outdoors.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't concern myself about how others hunt, none of my business........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.