Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Virginia Public whitetails, advice needed >

Virginia Public whitetails, advice needed

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Virginia Public whitetails, advice needed

Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Spike

Default Virginia Public whitetails, advice needed

I recently moved to Virginia from Ohio, will be living here until next summer and am looking for some tips, info, advice on hunting in the area. I have done alot of research on WMA's in the state. I live in Chesapeake and am mainly inquiring advice about whitetail bowhunting. From what I have read the chickahominy, cavalier and big woods wma's seem to have to much traffic for my liking. Hows the gathright wma or areas of the national forest? I am willing to drive a few hours if its worth it but cant find much reading on the different areas within the national forest. Thanks alot!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was stationed in VA I used to hunt the Wright Unit of the Rappahannock NWR. I took deer off it every time I hunted it. I also hunted most the military bases. If you are in the military they can be some good options.

I hunted Cavalier a few times. It can get some pressure but most people are too lazy to get into the really thick nasty stuff. There are some good deer in Cavalier and a good number of bear too but you will work for them.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding the National Forests (GW and TJ), I agree it is really hard to get any decent info online regarding where the best places are. The NF website is really pathetic. You might try contacting the ranger office by phone for the district you are considering. Sometimes there is someone in the office that is hunter friendly and can give you some advice.