Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler Pattern?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default Antler Pattern?

Question: Do whitetail bucks typically grow approximately the same pattern as the previous year when regarding antlers? I know they TYPICALLY grow more each year until the decline in age, or even in nutrition.
Example, last year I had a night in mid-October where 8 different bucks showed up, most of which stuck around to fight in front of my trail camera for hours, taking turns (pretty awesome to be honest). For about 20 minutes I received dozens of pictures of this amazing 9 point that probably scored in the 180's, a real beaut!
This year, I have a 9 point that's been coming around every 1-3 days near/in front of my camera whom has the same 5 on the left, 4 on the right and in almost the exact same location (can't really tell the difference), even the brow tines are just on the main beam slightly pointed inward just like the 9 point from last year.
I also had an 8 point two years ago that had a MASSIVE rack, around the 190 range! last year, the same exact pattern showed up quite a few times in early season and once again just after the rut, only difference was brow tines were slightly further up the main beam (BARELY).
So...are these probably the same bucks?

Last year in April I spotted a non-typical with over 25 points waaaaay over 200; he was in velvet (obviously or probably castrated/mutated during velvet from some previous velvet season). He was the largest body buck I have ever seen in my life, would love to see this guy again...
Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do but genetics also run very deep. Ive found sheds on several occasions you would swear were a match except they were the same side.

Several farms Ive hunted have had several bucks with extremely similar antler patterns.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say yes from what you described! What state are you in since this is your first post on the site and you don't have anything in your profile? I'm going to make a guess, but will not say until after seeing your answer. The place obviously has some great genetics, cover, and feed to put out the bucks you're talking about!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. I live in South West Michigan; some crazy looking bucks around here! Am definitely putting my money on it that at least one of them is a match to the previous year, which is great news!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hunter1987
Thanks for the responses. I live in South West Michigan; some crazy looking bucks around here! Am definitely putting my money on it that at least one of them is a match to the previous year, which is great news!

Welcome to the site and you're not far down the road from me up here in Allegan! My guess was Ohio, but I'm glad to hear those bucks are up this way. If you need any help taking a couple of them, I'm retired and always available, LOL!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Spike

lol I hear ya! See that buck in Decatur last season? Only about 10 miles from here...MONSTER! My brother-in-law had hundreds of pictures of a buck with a larger rack than that one, too. He missed it with a bow at 45 yards...I couldn't live with myself haha.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Love to see pics of your 190" 8pt ??
Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MUZZY 100
X2..
Old 08-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Texas isn't the only state that has big stuff, LOL! I will admit that there aren't many 8s that can even hit 150". If he's even close to 190", he'd probably be a world record for that number. Maybe I'll get an invite down to check these big rascals out with my own eyes, as I'm less than an hour north of the OP!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Heck yeah...Post up some pics. I'd love to see any of the bucks you mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.