Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand Placement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default Stand Placement

This is my first crack at posting on an online hunting forum, and forgive me for my lack of education as I am new to deer hunting. I realize there are many factors that go into stand placement, most of which you need to actually be on the land to determine. But I was wondering if any of you seasoned deer hunters might have just some basic recommendations/advice on where to hang a couple of stands based on an aerial map of a property. I have attached a photo below.

Yellow = Property boundaries
Black = Easement to property
Blue = Water
Red = Current hunting tower
Maroon = Mowed out/Bush Hog'd trails that have easy accessibility

Couple of notes:
-The majority of the property sits up on top of a hill (the easement travels straight upwards).
-The 15 square acres of heavy timber off to the EAST goes straight downhill, and doesn't finally level off until the east boundary of my property.
-The Southern and Nothern sections are both lighter timber and heavy brush/grasses, so from my observation those seem to be the sanctuaries.
-South of my property is just more timber and a county road, no crops.

Let me know what else I might be missing that I can provide without someone actually seeing the land! I'm looking at good places to hang 2 more stands, and also some food plots.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Stand Placement-land-pic-5.jpg  

Last edited by Bow T; 08-15-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many acres is the property and is North the top of your map as we look at it?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
How many acres is the property and is North the top of your map as we look at it?
Approx 95 acres. Yes, North is up on this image.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Never thought to edit a map this way. Looks fast, easy and convenient. Is this through paint or what kind of software?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Never thought to edit a map this way. Looks fast, easy and convenient. Is this through paint or what kind of software?
Yep, paint in Windows. Took about 5 mins.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome! I need to do this with my property. Just have to figure out how with my Mac. I don't know what Mac software offers that's close to Windows paint.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

That woodline in the Northwest corner looks like a nice spot. Check it out and see where the trails are/ bedding ares. Any "transition" areas (Brush to woods, woods to crop, low to high ground etc) seem to be good travel areas for deer. I'd check that woodline out for one location.
-Jake
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
That woodline in the Northwest corner looks like a nice spot. Check it out and see where the trails are/ bedding ares. Any "transition" areas (Brush to woods, woods to crop, low to high ground etc) seem to be good travel areas for deer. I'd check that woodline out for one location.
-Jake
Thanks for the advice. My only concern there was having to walk through the bedding area to get to that spot (and spooking up game). Should I not be concerned? My only way onto the property itself is through that black easement line on the south. Regarding the maroon lines, I can always bust out the bush hog and add more.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bow T
Thanks for the advice. My only concern there was having to walk through the bedding area to get to that spot (and spooking up game). Should I not be concerned? My only way onto the property itself is through that black easement line on the south. Regarding the maroon lines, I can always bust out the bush hog and add more.
You definitely don't want to disturb bedding areas. That's the easiest way to ruin a hunting area, especially for a good buck. I'd set up several stands back far enough to cover those areas and put them where the wind is favorable so you can pick and choose when to use them. You definitely don't want to go into bedding areas or be in a stand with the wind carrying your scent into them. Do as suggested by the preceeding post and use these suggetions as to where to actually place the stands. Also get them up as soon as possible and let the areas alone until you hunt them. Also, don't hunt any one stand day after day and stink it all up going to and from. Lingering human scent is a quick way to move a good buck right out of the area.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look for areas where more than one deer trail comes together, a funnel, then place your stand off the trails where you can see the area where they merge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.