Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SQUIRREL ALERT?

Old 10-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Default SQUIRREL ALERT?

Can deer or other game take notice/warning to the alert squirrels verbally make when they detect you in your hunting location inturn avoiding the area before entering?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SQUIRREL ALERT?

I belive they can, so I try not to rile any. Just my opinion
Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 PM

I think they notice but are not fully alerted because they hear it all the time.If they start associating squirrels alerts with hunters only then maybe.I have seen them not pay much attention to squirrels alerts before.I always listen for alerts to let me know if somethings there.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer actually set those tree rats off, too. I was just watching a bunch of baldies around my stand yesterday morning that made a squirrle really mad. I guess the deer were eating his acorns! They looked up at him, like " Suddup!" and went back to eating.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:25 AM

Squirrels the crows of the woods, gotta just love their ability to just start barking at anything that moves. I dont think deer pay much attension to them.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:37 AM

It is a very simple question, the woods and animals are " one" when something is happening in an area you can bet all the animals will be cautious(in that area). At one time humans could read the woods, some still can, some learn how. I' m not saying a deer won' t go in an area where squirels, crow, or what ever is raisin heck, but when they do go to that area they will be alittle more alert. Different sounds mean different things, some times when you are sitting in the woods just watch and listen to the way an animal acts towards different situations. Take squirels watch(and listen) them when they feel threatened, then watch them when they are after food, playing, etc... Watch how fast they send a message when a big ole owl comes around. One more thing to watch with a squirel is its tail. All animals seem to communicate with each other, in one way or another. Just my observation...........
Old 10-08-2003, 06:49 AM

I have seen deer become more alert when a squirrel starts barking, but I have never seen a deer spook for that reason. Squirrels will bark at anything from crows to other squirrels; deer will look around to try to locate the source of the barking squirrel' s ire, but it' s been my experience that unless the deer busts you it isn' t going to run.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know if deer are alerted by squirrels. I would say in some instances yes, but most of the time I don' t think it alerts them. On the other hand I have been alerted by squirrels of deer movement though. I always pay attention to squirrel behavior when I' m in my stand. On more than one occasion I' ve had a squirrel go nuts and a few moments later I' ll spot a deer. If you hear a squirrel start barking and going crazy, get ready, sometimes that comotion means a deer has that squirrel riled up.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think squirrels alert them, here i hear squirrels barking alot so im sure the deer are used to the tree rats.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d bet when the furballs initially start barking the deer might pause and giv ethe area a once-over just to see if the cause of the barking is anything worth being concerned about, but if they don' t sense anything on their own, they' ll probably just go on about their business without regard for the little blabbermouths.

On the other hand, I' ve thrown stuff at tree rats when they sit in the next tree over from me, face me and are yelling their head off. Even if a deer might not spot me, it' s just darned disconcerting to have to listen to that racket when the squirell is in your face trying to give you away to whomever is in earshot.

If they are persistant enough, who knows, they may just end up with a bludgeon-tipped 2216 up their backside.

Quick Reply: SQUIRREL ALERT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.