Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Concerns... Need Advice

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default Concerns... Need Advice

I'm fairly new to hunting and need some serious advice. I ran into an old friend who lives on 22 acres in a rural community. Her property is surrounded on 3 sides by roughly 1200 acres of hayfield and dense stands of trees owned by one person but divided amongst family members. The nearest house is almost 500 yards from her property line with a couple stands of trees separating hayfields. At issue is the fact that with the exception of the nearest house, her land is the highest elevation on 3 sides and any rifle shot not stopped by a tree would travel for a good distance. There is an over abundance of deer in the area (the neighbor doesn't allow any hunting on his 1200 acres) and she'd like to thin out the herd so to speak. She's seeing deer daily and in groups ranging from 2-3 to as many as 18 at one time, usually munching on her garden. She said that they are not even spooked when she walks into the yard to scare them off, they just look back as if to say "what do you want".

Average clear shooting distances on her property is around 150 yards with an additional 50 yards of trees before the property line. My go to rifle is a 7x57 but I have a 30-30 or 45-70 I could use. To be honest the place would be great to bow hunt on but I've never tried bowhunting and it's a little too late to start for this year. Would the height of a ladder stand help with the backstop issue? If it were you, would you hunt with a rifle here? Every place I've hunted in the past has had good backstop areas.

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I immediately thought you should bow hunt the property as I read your post until I got to the bottom where you mention it. I would go with a good stand up in the air and that way you can easily pick and choose your shots to greatly eliminate the problems you mentioned. I use all ladder stands because of my age and ease of getting in and out of them. Whatever you buy, please also use a good fall restraint 100% of the time going up and down and while in it. It sounds like you may have a real honeyhole if you do things properly, so good luck! Oh, and welcome to the site!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Since you stated "Fairly new to hunting" - if you use a ladder stand - as I also second that move buy a good 5 point vest/safety harness and use it all times. Make it your second skin.

And pick your shots carefully - Do pass on 'iffy' shots. The last thing you want is some shot animal collapsing across property lines if the 1200 acre owner is a non hunter. Taking a good shot with either rifle suffice.
JW
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a good slug gun. They are really effective on deer and don't carry as far as a regular rifle does. If you hunt from a tree stand your rounds will be going into the dirt and slugs aren't as prone to glance off as a bullet is. The same can be said for muzzleloaders.

Or, you can invite me to come help and I'll provide the guns and the ammo. I'm always willing to help thin the herd and don't have anything going on since I retired.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Get a good slug gun. They are really effective on deer and don't carry as far as a regular rifle does. If you hunt from a tree stand your rounds will be going into the dirt and slugs aren't as prone to glance off as a bullet is. The same can be said for muzzleloaders.

Or, you can invite me to come help and I'll provide the guns and the ammo. I'm always willing to help thin the herd and don't have anything going on since I retired.
Excellent advice flags! Really liked the invite me part!
Dang now why didn't I think of that........

JW
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
Excellent advice flags! Really liked the invite me part!
Dang now why didn't I think of that........

JW
yeah, that was nice... when i grow up, i'm gonna be just like him!!!
lol
Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Spike

What's the learning curve on a crossbow?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Orphanbrg
If you're talking accuracy, it's my understanding that it doesn't take much to get them sighted in and become very proficient with them.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Orphanbrg
The shooting of a crossbow is about as straightforward as shooting a rifle.

The learning curve, in my experience, is in how to properly cock the crossbow. Consistency is everything. Pulling unevenly from one shot to the next as you cock the bow can cause pretty surprising differences in point of impact.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd use the 30-30 and keep the shooting angles such that a miss/mistake heads into the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.