Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wind in the mountains

Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Spike

Default Wind in the mountains

i live in east TN and i hunt the appalachain mts. My question is this. How do winds travel in mountain ranges with thermals and prevailing winds. Say i hunt a south facing mountain early in the morning and the wind calls for a north wind but the thermals early in the morning rises and creates a south wind. Very early in the morning the thermals will come down but when the sun comes out and warms the thermals travel up so what do you do in this situation. Thanks for any answers
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing beats "local knowledge"..........take the high ground IMO.

You'll due fine................Hunt'em up !
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calm days thermals are a big consideration. Start throwing a windy day into the mix and less need to worry. As stated local smarts help in knowing where yer scent ends up.