Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Double Brow Tines

Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Talking Double Brow Tines

Howdy,

Thought I'd share with you the pictures of the first buck I ever shot. Killed him about 5 years ago. He appeared to be a typical 10 Point, but after inspecting him I realized he was a Double Brow Tine. Any thoughts on this? Is it rare? Have any of you ever killed something like this? I included some pics I just took of the rack on the wall, also a pic of the deer the night I killed him. Thanks for the help and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails Double Brow Tines-0714141608-00.jpg   Double Brow Tines-0714141608-01.jpg   Double Brow Tines-0714141609-00.jpg   Double Brow Tines-0714141609-01.jpg   Double Brow Tines-0714141616-00.jpg  

Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are alway a neat deer to see and kill, it should be a trophy to you no matter what!

On how rare they are, I wouldn't say too rare. Last year we had two on camera. One was a small 10 point and one was a real good split brown tine buck we think is only 2.5 year old, maybe a 3.5 year old.

We have one that is growing this year that has triple brow ties on each side. I'm curious if he was the small double brow tine buck from last year growing another one.

Here is the bigger of the split brow tine bucks. Its not the greatest picture but you can see that he split on one side. The other is just the same. I really hope to catch up with him this year.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

good info, thanks.

followup question. when scoring him. do i score him as typical or non-typical
Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably depends on the genetics in your area. They maybe common in one heard and non-existent in another. I can think of 4 that I have seen on our property. But, you look through a hunting magazine and you'll see a ton of them.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

As far as scoring, it should be scored as a typical. I think to be scored as a non-typical it would have to have more than 15 inches of abnormal antler.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buckman11
good info, thanks.

followup question. when scoring him. do i score him as typical or non-typical
i would agree with the other gentleman that you could still score him as typical..witch happens to be my favorite kind very cool rack sort of reminds me of a basket rack imo
Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Point Barnes! I'd say if the genetics are somewhere in the gene pool they will come up at some point. If they are no where to be found they will be quite rare. I think before last year we didn't have any split brow tines bucks in the last four years. There was a spot I hunted in Michigan that for three years if the buck has an 8 point rack (which was actually pretty rare) it had split brow tines. You just never know.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Split brow tines are not usual. I have seen it only a few times. They are really neat.

I agree that there are likely genetics playing into the picture in the area where that buck ranged. Would not be surprised to if more split brow tines show up again!

Where I hunt we have the typical, nicely matched racks .... plus 3 other out of the ordinary , distinct racks show up year in and year out .... that I am convinced are genetically linked. One is the classic double drop with the drop between G-1 and G-2. We continue to find drops and in the past 10 years have caught 4-5 different, mature double-drop bucks on trail cameras .... well after dark. Alas, so far not one has been killed by any of us.

Another is a strange looking rack .... left side has no points and the right looks "normal". Probably 7-8 of these have been killed in the past 10 seasons, one of was a massive 6x1 that was just over 230#.

And the third is a rack on which the G-2's are totally out of proportion lenghtwise, when the deer is 4-5 are the G-2's are in the 14-18 inches or longer and turning inward, almost touching. Four of these have been killed in the past 7 years... within about a 200 yard radius.