Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

your homemade deer attractant

Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 AM
  #11  
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Roane Co. WV USA Member since 11/1999
Posts: 2,045
Default

If the Deer are coming into the area anyway..regardless of how crazy things may get during the rut,...they will be there. The main thing is do not over do it with whatever ..cause the Deer WILL notice the difference. They always do....where I am we are polluted with deer, however they always know when season comes around. I would start now to be honest and prepare to pay a hefty price. More corn you put out, more they will eat and then you need to think about how you feel getting it where it needs to be with a couple 5 Gal. buckets....either that or if it is legal...buy a deer feeder. Good Luck!

Last edited by Christine B; 07-22-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Christine B is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 PM
  #12  
Spike
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2
Default

I just made homemade deer attractant. Salt vanilla extract molasses apple juice. And poured it directly on a stump had 2 doe I'm 45 min. I don't shoot doe but in a week where does are the buck will be. Also I wonder if chewing apple skoal in your treestand attracts deer the only reason I say that is when I chew apple I seem to see more deer as opposed to chewing mint or cherry. I also see deer when I chew those flavors but I see a lot more when I chew apple
Brewers18 is offline  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nonya damn business
Posts: 141
Default

My girlfriends uncle owns an apple orchard. He lets me grab a couple buckets of free apples a month so I just dump a pile and stomp on a few to get the scent out there. Sometimes I'll grab a ziplock bag and fill it with salt and dump in on the apples and they love that. Table salt makes a good cover scent as well
Muzzleloaderhunter is offline  
Old 10-19-2016, 09:25 AM
  #14  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
My girlfriends uncle owns an apple orchard. He lets me grab a couple buckets of free apples a month so I just dump a pile and stomp on a few to get the scent out there. Sometimes I'll grab a ziplock bag and fill it with salt and dump in on the apples and they love that. Table salt makes a good cover scent as well
How does table salt make a good cover scent? How do you use it a cover scent?
SecondChance is offline  
Old 10-21-2016, 12:08 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nonya damn business
Posts: 141
Default

Originally Posted by SecondChance
How does table salt make a good cover scent? How do you use it a cover scent?

Pretty self explanatory. Put it in a ziploc bag and open the bag up and hang it on a branch. Or dump some on the ground by your set up. The salt smell attracts them and I've never had a deer smell me and bust me using this
Muzzleloaderhunter is offline  
Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 AM
  #16  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
Pretty self explanatory. Put it in a ziploc bag and open the bag up and hang it on a branch. Or dump some on the ground by your set up. The salt smell attracts them and I've never had a deer smell me and bust me using this
So you are using it more as an attractant than a cover scent for table salt has no smell. Gotcha.
SecondChance is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.