Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calling does.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Calling does.

Walking the pup last evening in the vacant field, We get to the back fence and make the turn to go along the creek. All of a sudden Coyotes let go with the howling across the creek and up the hill. They are in my woods in the north east corner.
Hustle the pup back to her pen. go in the house grab the swift and two mouth calls, tell wife I think we lost a fawn to the coyotes and I'll be back late so eat supper without me. I go all the way back and get in a deer blind, leave the door open so I can watch out it as well as the windows. I start calling with a fawn in distress call. About 5 minutes a does comes out of the heavy brush at a trot. She circles the deer blind and finally goes over the hill crosses the creek going to the field where I had been with the pup. I start the fawn in trouble calling again. About 10 minutes another doe comes running flat out thru the brush. I grab the rifle as I just know a coyote is on her heels. she circles the deer blind twice and again goes over the hill to the field. Decided to try the fawn call one more time. A third doe comes from a completely different area sees me move in the blind grabbing the rifle. She snorts and takes off at a dead run for the field. I wait about 10 minutes and use the rabbit squealer call. So I was back there for about 50 minutes total and never seen a coyote.
That's about 30 minutes longer than we normally do a set. I figure they had gotten a fawn and we not hunger any longer. Going to call the neighbor behind me today and see about doing some sets in their woods about 120 acres

Al
Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

A fawn distress works well for calling does, as you saw, especially in the early season when fawns are young...
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah fawn in distress works for does and also calling in yotes, hope you clear the yotes in your area though they can be troublesome. You are probably right though they probably got a fawn and where not very interested in anything after that.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Have never used the fawn distress call this late before usually stop in early May.
I have friends coming Friday evening and we will hunt the area hard all week end.

Called the guy a mile over who runs them with dogs who is to busy for a couple weeks to chase them. but said he would as soon as he got time.

Al