Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fawns

Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Fawns

I know the weather has noting to do with born dates really. With our cold wet spring it did seem that was not the case. They started shedding in early April but put the brakes on that and didn't finish till about the last week in May, Didn't see my first fawn till June 2nd and the second one on June 5th. I spend a lot of time out in the woods and vacant over grown field with my dog.
This morning I got off the couch to go out with the dogs first outing of the morning. A pair of fawns were standing a little ways out from the living room window. Didn't see mom at first as I had thought she would be ahead of them. When I looked behind them there she was.
We have one old doe that lays in the pine trees at the edge of the front yard and grazes on the lawn grass. She has a very black face from her nose up just past her eyes and to the lower jaw. We call her black face. She allows us to come into the yard and get about 50 feet from her when we are working on shrubs or some thing. I have seen her with a fawn once on June 5th but not since then.
I keep watch for coyotes and listen for them near by. They seem to be staying away but they have found I don't fool around when it is fawning time.

Al
Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Normal birthing time for deer here in MI is from about the last ten days in May to the first ten days of June in any given year. Everyone should be aware that dogs are not allowed to roam free off their property in MI between 4/15 and 7/15 to protect the young critters of the year.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:39 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Been seeing fawns all week here. It has been cool and a little wet, but actually been better weather than what I have seen in the past years. Good to see ticks are way down from last year and back to normal levels.

Last edited by MZS; 06-13-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't usually see fawns own this way until mid July. About the earliest some does typically come in heat where I hunt in SE Alabama is in early December. The area I hunt has a population of deer from the northern US that were stocked here way back when to get the numbers up. For sure we have plenty now !!! There is a whole other group of does that do not come into estrus until late January - early February. So it is not unusual to see very young fawns way down into archery season ... which starts here in mid October.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Lily is still in training so is on the leash or check cord every outing plus we stay on our private property and what we have permission to be on.

Besides there isn't any one in this area that will enforce free ranging dogs. State would save money if they just got rid of the useless DNR fat butts here.

Al
Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Lily is still in training so is on the leash or check cord every outing plus we stay on our private property and what we have permission to be on.

Besides there isn't any one in this area that will enforce free ranging dogs. State would save money if they just got rid of the useless DNR fat butts here.

Al
***So what do you really think about our MIDNR, LOL!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Spike

Cool stuff man
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 PM
fzo
Fork Horn

lily is very cute
Old 06-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

From about Bay city north the DNR appears to do a good job and I know they work near Rapid River but here they are just useless fat butts.

I have reported the free rangeing dogs and they tell me to call animal control for the county, I call the county and they say I have to catch them.
I called once about a deer that was left hanging till it spoiled they drug back near the corner of my woods. Even the law rules book says you have to properly dispose of a carcass I was told he was probably using it for coyote bait.

Guess we can use road kill deer for coyote bait here now.

Al