Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the best bow of 2014?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default What's the best bow of 2014?

looking to get a new bow this year and wondering what's the best in your opinion and why. I currently shoot a Bowtech Insanity.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know about "the best" as so many would want to list the fastest & most expen$ive as such. But I will use this spot to recommend "the easiest to setup, friendliest to work on for the DIY, & simplest for the $" bow of the year as the Diamond Infinite Edge! I bought one a couple of months ago for my son who turned 14 on Monday. WOW is this thing easy to work on. Which is a BIG plus in my town as we only have a Gander Mtn & Dicks anymore & the snotnose kids & geeks up there AINT working on ANY of my equipment! I grew up in a hunt in/fishn shop my step-bros from 1985-2005 so I can work on/rig/tune any of my equip but without a press & anything other than basic tools, I wasn't sure how much work I could do on this new Diamond. It adjusts from 13"-30" draw & 5-70# and the best part is ALL of that can be changed WITHOUT a press! I installed & tied his peep in last night, just backed the limbs out so far that you can actually change the strings anchor positions for fine tuning draw length range. (3 positions, that combined with adjustable modules that give the 13"-30" range) This little bow is 31" axle to axle & weighs 3# so it REALLY handles well. Its essentially silent, very smooth & my son was in danger of busting knocks yesterday after only a dozen shots! I still have my ol Mathews Switchback XT in the case as I prefer to use my TenPoint crossbow for archery here in TN. but honestly I'd have NO problems calling this little Diamond my hunting bow if I were starting over & wanting to get a good, reasonable hunting rig without breaking the bank. (Usual kit prices for the Infinite Edge are in the $350-$400 range.)

That's my .01/2c, you certainly don't have to spend $1000-$2000 to get a decent hunting rig today!
HL
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm definitely a bit of a "bow snob" when it comes to my choice of cams... I went through Rehab, so I can now bring myself to purchase a single cam bow, but really, my heart belongs to twins/duals/binaries.

As a tried-and-true Binary shooter, I shoot a Mathews Monster and a Bowtech Destoyer 350. I'd love to have another Destroyer 350 in left hand.

BUT....

The "new bow" that I have my eye on is a Mathews Monster ChillR. Not quite as compact, and not quite as light as my Destroyer even, but it's a SLICK little bow.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be waiting to buy another bow until there's a carbon frame binary cam bow that runs about 375fps or faster. Even going to the ChillR isn't a step up from where I'm at now.

My next bow purchase will be a compound dedicated to bowfishing. Looking at potentially a 50lb Mathews Jewel with long draw modules, but haven't decided. (The Jewel is a high let-off bow, which isn't always ideal for bowfishing). Might just go the cheap route and get a PSE Tidal Wave or Ross Manta Ray.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

(bump)
.................................................. .................................................. .........
Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Define what you mean by "best":
- fastest
- most forgiving
- cost
- setup
- forgiveness
- target
- hunting
-adjustability
- tunability

What are you going to do with it and what price range?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

My pse nova extreme, I'll sell it for $1000
Haha just foolin, I don't have any experience with newer bows.
I don't see any advantages, plus the ones I've held at the shop are super heavy for how small they are. I like the nova size a lot.
I'm sure pse is still probably right up there though.
Don't they make the fastest one? Or has somebody surpassed their speed?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Spike

I just bought the new hoyt carbon spyder 30. ITS AMAZING
Im a Mathews guy and I never thought I would get rid of my Mathews switchback xt. but then I bought the carbon spyder 30 and it changed every opinion I had about hoyt bows you might check it out