Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Optics

Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Optics

Looking to upgrade by range finder and binos. I have been looking at Nikons Monarc 5 and 7 binos and there pro staff 7 range finder. Also looking at the scout 1000 and Legends by bushnell. Any help would be great.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I got that expensive Leica RF. It's a small one that bounces around on your front from it's string if I can remember where I put it today.

As an oldtimer I have a lot of gear. I read there are rangefinders built into binoculars now. If I did not have the Leica 1300 or whatever it is I might try that way.

The one item I like is the 7/ 12 x 32mm Leupold switch power binoculars. Those are so handy for scanning while hunting and then switching to 12X to see: "what is it".

The problem is that they were expensive and may not be made anymore. If I did not have the pair I do I would search the net and buy another pair. They are outstanding.

I also got the Nikon Action Zoom 7/15 x 35mm binoculars. They are inexpensive however they are bulky with a narrow field of view.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the price the Monarch 5 is hard to beat. For about the same cash as the Monarch 7 you can find the Leupold McKinley. The McKinley is heavier than the 7 but it is as good or better than anything I have seen for double the price.

I use Leica rangefinders but hear good things about the Nikon and Bushnell models.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the Bushnell Scout 1000 with the ARC, it's on point
Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I've got optics from across the board: Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Redfield, Nikon & even an old 30+yr old Tasco on my 10-22 that REFUSES to die! (My rangefinder is a Leica 800 I've had for well over a decade) But I'll always admit, day in - day out, Nikon is just about impossible to beat for the $$$!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had the Nikon 800 for a few years and it worked great, I gave it to my Dad 2 years ago when I upgraded to a Zeiss and the Zeiss is just awesome! Over 1000 yards easy.

Nikon optics in general are pretty nice, I have loopy binos but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Nikon.

I also just bought a Burris Eliminator, haven't mounted it on a rifle yet but it looks to be pretty darn good...
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the "idea" of a Range Finder & Binos in ONE............. I just don't know if we are there yet - particularly at a price I can afford ??

Bushnell Fusion 1 mile Arc Laser

http://www.snipershide.com/2013/07/b...ng-binoculars/
Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

"particularly at a price I can afford ??"

They are there, but that's the issue. You can get into some Swaro's or Zeiss's for about 3 grand.

I have a Leupold TBR-1000 that I've been using for 5+ years and have no complaints, and my binos are Monarchs from before when they started with the 3 - 5 - 7 designation, so I'm not really sure which current ones they are comparable to, but again, no complaints.

One thing about having the binos and rangefinder separate is that sometimes I don't feel like carrying my binos around for certain hunts (whitetails in the woods for example) and the rangefinder, which fits in a pocket, can double as a monocular.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it comes down to economics. I can get a "good enough" set of binos and a d@mn good rangefinder for far less cost than the cost of any of the combo units. And none of the combo units are very small, which is a big turn off for me.

I tend to carry both, but I can live without binos on the stand if I'm traveling light. Hence, I prefer my RF's small, and don't mind a 'standard' sized bino.

I have two of the Bushnell 1000's (one branded Cabelas, the other bushnell) that I've been using for several years - seems like I picked them up in 2007-8ish? Very happy with them for hunting in Kansas, the ARC function works, and they give accurate and repeatable reads out to about 600yrds on game, and a true 1000 on large flat face objects (buildings, sometimes a large tree, hillsides, etc). One of these is in my truck all the time, and I can't remember a time I've gone hunting in the last several years without one of them on my chest.

Coupled with that, I like a pair of "standard" binos, usually in the 10-12x and 40-50mm ballpark. By "standard" I mean "will JUST fit in a coat pocket - barely" type of size. I'm carrying either a Bushnell Trophy 10x42mm or Nikon Prostaff 12x50mm most of the time these days.

For longer range work, I generally carry a higher magnification, longer range RF, then a set of binos and a spotting scope.

I have a Leica 1300, sad that the 1600 came out right after I bought my 13. Also picked up a Nikon 1200, happy with it as well. Very rare that I ever use these for hunting, only when I want to make a really long poke at something. By and large, these are my range/target rangefinders, but they do see some hunting, when I'm set up on a bench or laying prone on a ridge with the spotting scope nearby.

Same binos as above.

I've been a cheapskate on my spotting scopes, and I pay for it every time I go to the range. Both are "serviceable" or "functional", but they ain't Cadillac's, that's for sure. I have a Simmons that was ~$120, and a Konus that was ~$250, both are 20-60x80mm. Always intend to replace them with proper spotters, but I have them and can make them work, so my fun money gets spent elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Spike

Nikon has disappointed many people who bought more expensive optics. Thats a riddle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.