Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scrapes

Old 10-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scrapes

I found some scrapes next to this field that was a wheat field. what should i do?
Old 10-04-2003, 07:39 PM

Default RE: scrapes

Which way do you think the deer are travelling? Set up a stand maybe on the trail heading for this scrape and the wheat field. Go back and check on the scrape now and then to see if their keeping it fresh..
Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 AM

Need more info. Is there a way to get into a stand near the scrape. If it' s along the edge of the field, maybe you could setup someplace on the other side of the field. Find the trails that are most heavily used around the field and setup within 20 yards or so. Chances are they may be bedding in the fringes of the field so you need to find a way to get into a stand without spooking them. I sounds like it would be a prime evening spot to hunt.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-05-2003, 08:50 PM

I think you should set up like 40-50 yds. down wind of the scrape ( if possible) because the little bucks will be right up in the scrape, the big boys will be winding the scrape from downind. Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have a stand right next to this wheat field in my woods. the field i dont own. i am betting there are beds out in the field. since the wheat was cut in july weeds and grass are very tall. there are about 3 or 4 right along the edge. i sat up in my stand one night nigth didnt see anything. maybe he will be there in a morning hunt.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:24 PM

One question... do you know in proximity where they bed?? If so which way are the rubs facing?? Towards the field or bedding area? If they face toward the field its most likely a morning stand. If they' re facing the bedding area than its an evening stand. Also one more point to add... (and someone back me up on this, n i know someone will if they have seen hunting october whitetails) and i quote Rick Blaze " The hardest deer to hunt, is ANY DEER that can bed immediate to the food source. Once you have found them, they have already found you and they can hear, see, and smell your every move."
Old 10-05-2003, 10:28 PM

I have to agree with hoytusa. The big boys will most always scent check the scrapes from downwind. He also makes a good point about which way the rubs are facing - it will tell you which way the buck(s) are traveling along the trail. If they are indeed bedding in the field, it would be a good spot to hunt all day IMO.

When deer bed in close proximity to their feeding area, I think the best approach is to hunt them from the ground. I may be a bit biased in my opinion since I am exclusively a ground hunter, but the act of either climbing a ladder or scooting up in a climber could possibly spook them. I would make a natural blind and hunt from that. If you can fool their noses and their ears, and make only as much movement as necessary, you should be able to connect!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am with split-hoof on this, in some cases hunting from the ground has an advantage over a tree stand, if you are setting up close to thier bedding area and they hear/see you and watch you climb a tree, as long as you are there they can see you and will hold tight, if you are hunting from the ground and approach from down wind and sit down the only thing they know is that they heard something, if they never see you, nor wind you, with in 15 minutes they will forget all about that noise and move when they want to.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time scrapes that are along field edges are made and checked at night. That is just my experience and what I' ve read. I' m sure its not an exception, there are probably hundreds of scrapes made along edges during daylight every year. You could try a scrape dripper to try and condition the buck to visit during daylight hours.

Quick Reply: scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.