Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Recipes

Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default Deer Recipes

Im going to a Wild Game dinner in a few weeks and i have a freezer full of deer and would like to fix some deer for it. Anyone have any recipes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Easiest for newbys is to cut up potatoes, onions, carrots, etc in a crockpot...Cut venison in cubes, add 4 pieces of bacon, salt, pepper and your favorite BBQ sauce...Let it cook all night...
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I you have cubed steak, here's something you might not have tried.

Marinade over night in whatever you want to try. I use "Dale's" brand.

Drain.

Spread each steak out on a flat surface.

Put a "wad" of finely chopped onion, belle pepper, celery, garlic ... Jalpeno if you like it hot in the middle. A heaping table spon usually in enough but the amount will vary depending upon the size of the steak.

Push a lump of Pepper Jack cheese into the veggies.

Roll up carefully, keeping the veggies & cheese inside the roll. Sprinkle the roll-up with a steak seasoning. Wrap it with a good quality bacon.

Use wooden tooth picks to hold the roll together.

Grill or broil until the bacon is crisp.

Remove the tooth picks and serve.

Last edited by Mojotex; 04-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been making something along the lines of venison pastrami lately. Tastes good to me.

I make a brine with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup canning salt, one gallon water, 1-2T pickling spice, and 1/2 tsp curing salt (for the regular salt and curing salt, you can substitute something like Morton Tenderquick). Brine a 3 lb boneless roast for at least a week, or up to 2 weeks. Then rinse and dry, then rub with black pepper and ground coriander. Then smoke the meat (I used hickory) until an internal temp of 130. Let cool completely and slice across the grain very thin.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 04-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Spike

Thanks guys!!!! im planing on fixing all of these
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Want another easy one...Grind meat into burgers and make tacos...I do this and don't add any fat, etc that I hear others talk about...Just grind, put in fry pan and add taco seasoning...

I also make spaghetti and chili without adding fat...
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Here is some super-easy "mock roast beef". Brown a venison roast in a hot frying pan with some oil. Then put in a baking dish and put some beef tallow over the top along with some fresh crushed garlic and a tablespoon or two of water, cover and bake at 300 - this will tame any deer meat. Make sure the tallow is fresh food grade (and not for birds) - if you ask a butcher they will usually save you some for little or no cost. This is great out of the oven or slice it up cold and make sandwiches.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

For thousands of recites to try use your computer search function.

One of my favorites.

Venison Burrito’s
1. 1 to 1 ½ lbs of venison burger
2. 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
3. 1 cup of sour cream
4. 2 small cans of mild green chilies
5. 1 cup shredded co jack cheese
6. 1 cup cheddar cheese
7. 8 or 10” tortilla shells.
Brown burger and drain, in a sauce pan mix soup, sour cream and chilies,
Using a 9x13 pan or dish coat bottom with soup mixture. Put a table spoon burger in a shell with a tablespoon of each cheese roll up and put in dish. Do this until dish is full should be between 8 and 10. Pour remaining soup over burritos and spread rest of cheese over soup mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
When serving have salsa and sour cream ready.
Options beef, chicken strips or turkey can be substituted for venison.
We add some diced onions and extra mushrooms.

Al
Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is for lamb but Ive used it on venison...tastes really good. and the liquid/juices that run off can be used to season plain white rice. then you put the lamb/venison on the cooked rice and serve.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=18&tname=recipe