Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
does anyone hunt with ar platform rifle? >

does anyone hunt with ar platform rifle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does anyone hunt with ar platform rifle?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default does anyone hunt with ar platform rifle?

ive been toying with the idea of getting a scoped upper in either 6.5 or 6.8 to fit on my rockriver ar15. Does anybody else hunt with a similar set up (cant use 5.56 in va for deer thats why the barrel switch). Can you get an accurate enough setup this way? Most of my shots would be inside 200 yards, probably inside 100.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Accuracy is a lot more complicated than barrel and cartridge, so no guarantees, but yes, the 6.8 or the 6.5 will kill deer if well placed at 200yrds, using the right bullet. (Lots of modifiers there, if you didn't notice).

I ran a 6.5G before the AA fall out and things got hairy (wasn't interested in playing games with the 264LBC or any of that jazz), so I swapped over to the 6.8SPCII. Been quite happy with both. Really bought these to be coyote rifles, but they've done well as deer rifles. I've only used them on meat hunts. The moderate velocity of these in heavier bullets keeps them pretty kind to fur, but still penetrates well enough to kill deer cleanly.

I wouldn't have issue taking deer at 350, maybe a push to consider 400yrds if I had to.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

is there any characteristics i should be looking for in a 6.5 or 6.8 barrel, for instance rate of twist etc, if im looking for something that will shoot heavier bullets accurately? Any recommended makers to look for or stay away from?

i hate to have a rifle sitting basically unused, maybe one day i can get into 3gun with it, but until then its basically my shtf gun. If its going to cost more for the upper than a decent hunting rifle ill just leave it be. Was hoping to simplify my gun life a bit and let go of 2 deer rifles in favor of this.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

look into the wssm line, best bang for the buck with an AR IMO, I have taken many deer with my 25 wssm AR and my 458 socom.
RR
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
look into the wssm line, best bang for the buck with an AR IMO, I have taken many deer with my 25 wssm AR and my 458 socom.
RR
ill do that thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck , I would if PA allowed.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well it depends..

if its legal in the state you're hunting. And it would depend on how many times you shot the deer. A deer processor might object to a deer with a shot up gut section.
Deer processors always apprecitated a deer shot once, in the right place, with a thirty-thirty. And a newbie might not appreciate that fact, until he got stuck cleaning a gut shot deer.

Talk about an education.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
if its legal in the state you're hunting. And it would depend on how many times you shot the deer. A deer processor might object to a deer with a shot up gut section.
Deer processors always apprecitated a deer shot once, in the right place, with a thirty-thirty. And a newbie might not appreciate that fact, until he got stuck cleaning a gut shot deer.

Talk about an education.

Makes my day every time...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine

Talk about an education.
im not looking to hunt with an ar so i can spray the woods, just want to turn a seldom used rifle into something i can hunt with...cant use 223 here in va, which is why im inquiring about 6.5/6.8 etc. I usually shoot my deer once...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Spike

I deer hunt with a .308 (DPMS LR-308). Doesn't directly apply to the original question, as the AR-15 frame doesn't support .308, but it is relevant to the discussion of destroying deer with gut-shot and otherwise shot up spray and pray hunting. Every deer I've taken, and they have all been taken with a semi-auto, was one shot one kill. Clean heart shots except for two, one was lung shot, one was head shot. I've never gut shot a deer. And yes, an AR style rifle can be plenty accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.