Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Interesting Deer Scouting Method >

Interesting Deer Scouting Method

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interesting Deer Scouting Method

Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Interesting Deer Scouting Method

This method of deer scouting has helped us a ton. We use it to better understand deer patterns with precision, and to help us remember those patterns from year to year! Do any of you use a similar method of scouting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADqw7tsnDk
Old 03-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, I've been scouting for decades...

without a gps.
With anything new, like a gps, and more than a few things to remember, I'd first start practicing at a pre-season hiking area. And you'll get to use it there more than once to compare your learning experience. My place would be in a local park I use for all year hikes.
The devil is in the details, until you use a gps. I find you creep before you crawl. And crawl before you walk. And learn how best to use it for your type of hunting.

I'm sure an ideal candidate for a gps. I hunt alone and I hunt at least three areas. I have one intended out of state hunt. Three or four area spots in five days. I'll scout and hunt the same day. And I expect to move, if necessary, every day.
If I hunt the fourth day, I will be down to the waypoints of spots picked out. It might be a half mile or a mile from the starting point, but I'll be able to exactly zero in on a fourth hunting day.

Of course, using a gps means getting my "shanks ponies" in go in shape for moving. Those feet don't have a gps. And the ol compass will be there as backup. I've been using it too long. Electronic things do have dead batteries.

Last edited by Valentine; 03-28-2014 at 03:58 AM.