Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best area to look for sheds

Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default Best area to look for sheds

I'm going shed hunting so I wanna know what the best places to look are
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know where you're at but if you have waist high mountain laurel thickets with trails running all through them those are prime places.
If you're on private you can always build a shed trap.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Spike

the sunny side of hills power line cuts fence crossings I follow alot of trails I look in bedding and feeding areas any kind of edge cover this time of yr any food source is key you have to use your imagination
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure where your located, so I don't know what the deer in your area do in the Winter. Here in MN the deer are currently in Winter yards.

Most Winters I don't mess with the deer when they're in the yards. They're already stressed enough from the Winter without me chasing them around.

I read an article where a guy had trained his dog with antlers to help him find sheds, thought that was a great idea.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 03-24-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
I'm not sure where your located, so I don't know what the deer in your area do in the Winter. Here in MN the deer are currently in Winter yards.

Most Winters I don't mess with the deer when they're in the yards. They're already stressed enough from the Winter without me chasing them around.

I read an article where a guy had trained his dog with antlers to help him find sheds, thought that was a great idea.
thats the way here too, theyll kinda migrate down from the oak ridges when the snow gets deep and concentrate around ag land.

there was an article on the dog thing in march field and stream i think
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found one today, we were in the lowlands...lots of old and new rubs. Happen to be checking one of the fresh ones and found a shed. Basically second one ever...
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Spike

west ive looked in garret county and found some monsters in red house the end of this month is when im going to start I live in fayette pa we dont get as much snow as you do but it is similar matter of fact im only 40 miles from keisers ridge md good luck
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ShedHound53
west ive looked in garret county and found some monsters in red house the end of this month is when im going to start I live in fayette pa we dont get as much snow as you do but it is similar matter of fact im only 40 miles from keisers ridge md good luck
Redhouse is all private and yeah there are monsters out there, In the town of mountain lake park there are also some giants. It's the places that don't receive that much hunting that hold the big boys. I've been hunting garrett county since I was fourteen so I know some good spots.