Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moving to MN

Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moving to MN

So my fiancee and I are buying a house on 40 acres in Ottertail County MN. I've never hunted in this part of the state. I've been doing a little research and can't find much on the area. Is there some good hunting to be found there?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't find a lot of info about hunting. If you've come across any of the info I have, no doubt you've run across plenty of info about fishing in the area. There are over 1000 lakes in Otter tail county.

I did find a bit of info on the MN. DNR site... This was the most recent deer density map I could find. It looks like the region supports a very high population of whitetails. Particularly to the North, and East. Just a guess, but I'm putting you in the 240, to 241 area.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreat...efawn_2011.pdf

I should add that those #'s are going to look different after this Winter... The DNR has released deer feeding funding for the first time since 96... We've had bad Winter for the whitetails.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 03-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I saw the fishing and I'm pretty pumped about it. Haven't fished for muskies since I was a kid. The sad thing is I sold my bought a few yrs ago. Guess I'll have to get another one. As to the winter, I hear it's pretty bad. My uncle lives in Northern WI and he said he'd be surprised if anything lived through the winter by him.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well in a state with 10,000+ lakes, there's always plenty of boats for sale... Does your fiancee fish? The only reason I ask, is because if she does, you'll be getting a nicer boat

I'm pretty sure that the Ottertail area hasn't been hit as hard as the North, and Northeast parts of the state have this Winter. I'm in area 181, we got 17 inches of snow in the last big storm alone. I can't remember for sure what I heard on the news, but we also either tied, or broke the record for the # of days that we didn't get above zero.

One of the things I'm not sure about in the Ottertail area is the land ownership situation... That said, considering that only 11% of the state is privately owned chances are going to be pretty good that you be able to find some pretty good hunting areas within a reasonable distance. Heck, if you buy the right 40 acres you may never have to leave home too hunt!

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 03-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Buy a shovel!

JW
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I lucked out with her. She fishes and hunts. Or I should say wants to hunt. I brought her on a deer hunt in NE last year. And she loved every minute of it. I was able to tag a nice 10 pt. She had the biggest smile. So this year is her year.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I like that your other half hunts and fishes. Shows that you did keep your wits about you when looking for that special some one you want to annoy the rest of your life.

I really dislike reading all the time about guys who jumped into some thing only to learn the other half doesn't like guns, wild game or fresh caught fish.

Good luck in Minnesota. My favorite place to snowmobile.

Al
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks alley. You definitely have enough snow in MN this year.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Second most snow in a winter so far this year. Just a half inch will make it number one snowiest winter.

I'm in Michigan though.

Al