Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
anybody use moultrie tripod gravity feeder >

anybody use moultrie tripod gravity feeder

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anybody use moultrie tripod gravity feeder

Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default anybody use moultrie tripod gravity feeder

hey guys im new here so i hope im doing this right. i got a couple of these feeders i just put out and i havnt never really used feeders and woundering how do the older bucks fair to them. mainly just trying to keep feed all year around and figured this would be the best way to save money. just woundering if anybody has much experienced with these thanx
Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Spike

I dont have a moultrie feeder but I do feed deer during the harsh weather times but when it starts greening up I stop because they will have plenty of natural browse available and I dont want them hanging around when I hunt them I want it to be on there terms
Old 02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Spike

well i want them to hang around where i hunt
Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swampbuck... Where are you located, and what are you feeding them?

The reason I ask is because in Northern regions like mine if you start feeding deer summer type feed such as corn you can actually harm the deer. In my region a deers biology changes slowly throughout the year to adapt to the varying feed types throughout the year. In my area right now if you haven't been feeding deer Summer types of feed such as corn all Winter the deers body's biology is literally not able at this time to properly digest it.

I a natural setting this biological change takes place slowly as the season, and the available feed changes.

As far as hanging around where you hunt goes... If they're still there now, depending on where your located chances are they are already hanging around where you hunt throughout the Winter.

I can't speak for the South or West regions but if your going to feed deer in the North throughout the Winter you need to do some research to make sure your doing it right.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 02-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Spike

Im in northeast la. I always scatter corn down my food plots bc I know every deer will eat it that way. I'm just worried that the sight of it will keep the big bucks from coming in. I usually plant soybeans in summer and then in October I leave the front half standing and mom the back half to plant some wheat oats clover and peas so they half both green and grain. And I always throw corn and sweat potatoes out in it
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Spike

The site of the feeder I meant
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your in an area that's out of my league when it comes to Winter feeding, but sounds like you've got something figured out.

I can't tell you that certain bucks will or will not approach your feeders, but doubt that the feeders will scare them away.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Spike

We'll I'm just gna fill if with corn and maybe mix some bb2 or soybeans with it for some protein and just leave it out the whole off season and we will see what happens. I can always take it down before season if I see a negative impact but I think it will be ok where I got it located.