Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The film that started it all. . . >

The film that started it all. . .

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The film that started it all. . .

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Spike

Default The film that started it all. . .

I find it hard for hunters today not to see the value in filming their hunts. We have all been there the moment of truth. The body sends a surge of adrenaline through your veins it’s the natural high your body craves and as a hunter you seek. As the your adrenaline spikes your senses heighten your predator instincts kick in, funneling your vision towards the task at hand and yet there is a sense of haziness time slows down, your peripheral vision narrows and as fast as it came its gone. The adrenaline is soon replaced by the feeling of remorse and respect to the animal for what it has just provided and all becomes clear. Your celebration of the harvest is greeted by fellow hunters, friends and family requesting the sharing of the story in order to visualize your success and in a way be there in that moment with you. You find it hard to accurately portray the entire event because of the adrenaline rush you have experienced and as the years come and go the memory becomes so hazy it seems to be just a dream with the only proof that it is not a dream is a dusty set of antlers on the wall. The day will come when your body proves to be too weak to withstand the cold harsh elements and are replaced with early mornings spent around indoors sipping hot coffee with friends that you have known all your life reminiscing of past years "First Days". You feel as though you would do anything to be able to be in those moments again to experience the rush your body still craves, to vividly be able to walk through each moment with the clarity as though it was actively happening. So you go to the television and pull up the old footage and laugh at each other at how bad you were shaking before the shot or how your facial expression was priceless after realizing that you had made an excellent shot. That is the reason we film our hunts it’s to preserve them in a virtual time capsule where at any moment they can be relived and shared.

This is the hunt that started this addiction to filming our hunts: http://youtu.be/GMX69Eg6OVs

May there be no mistakes that this day and many others like it was spent in the company of friends enjoying each other and saving this memory in full clarity for a lifetime.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly I fear the day may come when filming "killing OPPORTUNITIES" may indeed be passed off as "politically acceptable substitutions" for actually hunting. Catch & Release is the norm for fishing (and that's a GOOD thing) but I don't trust politicians nor todays younger generations who are quickly becoming more "Disney like" in their emotions, thoughts and beliefs. Making hunting more anti-septic is something that would appeal to them and EVERYONE filming their hunts would sure lend itself to such a long term goal. No I'm NOT advocating doing away with hunting shows on tv but the thought of essentially EVERY hunter in the woods with MORE electronic gadgetry is abhorrent. (I must admit feeling that the VAST majority of which are becoming annoying as they are usually just 30min infomercials filmed on private game ranches, with emphasis ONLY on killing of THE largest specimen while seemingly making the lesser sized almost worthless. The likewise are void of any true artistic display in production nor convey ANY appreciation for the inspiring beauty of the natural world!)

I know all that may sound far fetched but I'll use an example of "modernity" and over complication... Not all that long ago my grandfather spoke of traveling on hunts via airplane when one simply carried their rifle thru the airport WITH them while zipped in a common soft guncase. As you boarded the plane you were greeted by a smiling stewardess who welcomed you aboard and kindly placed your rifle in forward coat closet where it stayed until it was handed to you at the completion of the flight! The same society that brought about air travel regulations are the same ones that drive perceptions and regulations of our sports as well.

Besides, being a sentimentalist myself I rather enjoy re-telling and indeed reliving the tale of a particular trophy while gazing up at it in my trophy room/living room, adult beverages in hand, a crackling fire providing ambiance while in the warm company of cherished friends/family.... THAT is my idea of the greatest hunts relived! Sometimes THE greatest stories are those never SEEN but indeed TOLD! It's been that way since the dawn of man, I don't understand this compulsion to suddenly change it just because of the existence of some created technology?

HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 02-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.