Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Corn pile or feeder

Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Corn pile or feeder

Which would you guys recommend? Any one use honeysuckle for a food polt?

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend the feeder. Most honeysuckle is considered an invasive species from Asia. I don't think it would be wise to plant a plot in it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say the feeder.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

No bait for me. Baiting removes to much of what I like about hunting.

I'm not one of those "thats not really hunting" guys but its just not my thing.

Luckily for me I live in a state that doesn't allow it so I'm not forced to contend with it. I know in some parts of the country you probably almost have to bait.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I'd say it might depend on how long/often you plan on doing the baiting. For anything more long-term than a week or two, I'd say feeder. By simply leaving some corn on the ground, it will begin to spoil after a while and be not as good for deer. It would still work fine for hogs however.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely a feeder if you are going to put corn out because you want to spread it out and make them work for it. The only time I've ever hunted that way was down in Texas because it's so thick you need to draw them out onto the few senderos and open spots that may be few and far between.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The OP didn't mention anything about baiting, just feeding.

Many in my area feed deer all Winter to help the heard. Many of the people that feed the deer never hunt. I have friend that hasn't hunted in years, but feeds deer every Winter.

Food plots were mentioned, but again not necessarily to hunt over. I have 3 plots. I used to hunt over one of them, but have quite doing so. Tho I do ambush the approach to one of them.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lunkerdog---Granted that neither baiting or feeding was actually stated by the OP, but his heading of "corn pile or feeder" would seem to make one believe that it would be hunted over, rather than just supplemental type feeding the way some looked at it.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Lunkerdog---Granted that neither baiting or feeding was actually stated by the OP, but his heading of "corn pile or feeder" would seem to make one believe that it would be hunted over, rather than just supplemental type feeding the way some looked at it.
Top, no doubt I can see the train of thought.

I guess my mind went a different direction mainly because of the time of year.

I also have a part-time neighbor who when he started to feed he was initially putting out corn piles. As he got more educated in the process he graduated to the timed feeders that mechanically spray the corn around.

Also the other friend I mentioned in the past used to buy alfalfa and spread it our for the deer. Due to poor production in our area this year he couldn't find any alfalfa, and has gone to corn. He manually spreads it out every day.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
The OP didn't mention anything about baiting, just feeding.

Many in my area feed deer all Winter to help the heard. Many of the people that feed the deer never hunt. I have friend that hasn't hunted in years, but feeds deer every Winter.

Food plots were mentioned, but again not necessarily to hunt over. I have 3 plots. I used to hunt over one of them, but have quite doing so. Tho I do ambush the approach to one of them.
I guess I just assume food in a pile is for baiting.

For me if I were just feeding I would try to go as natural as possible. Of course until the neighbor(s) started drawing all the deer to them then I'd have to set up a mechanical feeder.

Do you guys ever run into cases where people feed the herd,the herd adapts to that(grows) then for whatever reason people stop feeding the herd?

It seems like that could get ugly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.