HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Corn pile or feeder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/389206-corn-pile-feeder.html)

theshark 01-24-2014 06:53 AM

Corn pile or feeder

Which would you guys recommend? Any one use honeysuckle for a food polt?

Thanks in advance...

deernutz 01-24-2014 07:37 AM

I would recommend the feeder. Most honeysuckle is considered an invasive species from Asia. I don't think it would be wise to plant a plot in it.

FlDeerman 01-24-2014 07:52 AM

I would say the feeder.

rockport 01-24-2014 08:11 AM

No bait for me. Baiting removes to much of what I like about hunting.

I'm not one of those "thats not really hunting" guys but its just not my thing.

Luckily for me I live in a state that doesn't allow it so I'm not forced to contend with it. I know in some parts of the country you probably almost have to bait.

Tnhunter444 01-24-2014 09:06 AM

I'd say it might depend on how long/often you plan on doing the baiting. For anything more long-term than a week or two, I'd say feeder. By simply leaving some corn on the ground, it will begin to spoil after a while and be not as good for deer. It would still work fine for hogs however.

Topgun 3006 01-24-2014 09:11 AM

Definitely a feeder if you are going to put corn out because you want to spread it out and make them work for it. The only time I've ever hunted that way was down in Texas because it's so thick you need to draw them out onto the few senderos and open spots that may be few and far between.

Lunkerdog 01-24-2014 09:21 AM

The OP didn't mention anything about baiting, just feeding.

Many in my area feed deer all Winter to help the heard. Many of the people that feed the deer never hunt. I have friend that hasn't hunted in years, but feeds deer every Winter.

Food plots were mentioned, but again not necessarily to hunt over. I have 3 plots. I used to hunt over one of them, but have quite doing so. Tho I do ambush the approach to one of them.

Topgun 3006 01-24-2014 09:42 AM

Lunkerdog---Granted that neither baiting or feeding was actually stated by the OP, but his heading of "corn pile or feeder" would seem to make one believe that it would be hunted over, rather than just supplemental type feeding the way some looked at it.

Lunkerdog 01-24-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4118162)
Lunkerdog---Granted that neither baiting or feeding was actually stated by the OP, but his heading of "corn pile or feeder" would seem to make one believe that it would be hunted over, rather than just supplemental type feeding the way some looked at it.

Top, no doubt I can see the train of thought.

I guess my mind went a different direction mainly because of the time of year.

I also have a part-time neighbor who when he started to feed he was initially putting out corn piles. As he got more educated in the process he graduated to the timed feeders that mechanically spray the corn around.

Also the other friend I mentioned in the past used to buy alfalfa and spread it our for the deer. Due to poor production in our area this year he couldn't find any alfalfa, and has gone to corn. He manually spreads it out every day.

rockport 01-24-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog (Post 4118154)
The OP didn't mention anything about baiting, just feeding.

Many in my area feed deer all Winter to help the heard. Many of the people that feed the deer never hunt. I have friend that hasn't hunted in years, but feeds deer every Winter.

Food plots were mentioned, but again not necessarily to hunt over. I have 3 plots. I used to hunt over one of them, but have quite doing so. Tho I do ambush the approach to one of them.

I guess I just assume food in a pile is for baiting.

For me if I were just feeding I would try to go as natural as possible. Of course until the neighbor(s) started drawing all the deer to them then I'd have to set up a mechanical feeder.

Do you guys ever run into cases where people feed the herd,the herd adapts to that(grows) then for whatever reason people stop feeding the herd?

It seems like that could get ugly.