Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food plots

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Spike

Default Food plots

I'm new to the hunting seen been at it for 3 years in western PA. It's getting expensive and want to put in a nice food plot that will feed for most of the year... I've been researching and I think the best choice will be the forage soybeans from eagle seed? I have 220 acres to work with but want to stick to power and the water line right of ways to do food plots cause fields r used for hay. I've got access for tractors to get in there...

Are soybeans right choice? How much will I have to plant to sustain my deer heard threw the winter? Will I still have to supplemental feed? Will it actually bring in and grow bigger bucks? Bottom line is it worth it?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Spike

I'm new to the whole food plot thing as well... Tried some throw and grow garbage a few years ago with Zero results. Do you have soybeans fields in your area? If so, I'd think it wouldn't draw them in much since it would be readily available elsewhere in mass quantities, but I may be wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

I wasn't sure what the hell to do. I just didn't want to spend a fortune with feeding them all winter
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest trying a few different types of food plots,there are perennials (plants that will continue growing and last for several years) and the others that are Seasonal and usually on last thru 1 growing period!

Plants I would suggest to plant if You want something that will last for several years and the Wildlife will be able to use almost all year long to some extent!
Clover (Ladino,White,Red...etc)
Alfalfa
Rye Grass

Plants that are usually good for a single growing Season and most can be planted in the Spring,Summer or Fall depending on which You choose and for what purpose!Here's just a few that come to mind.

Early Spring:
Clovers
Oats
Foraging Oats
Wheat

Summer:
Soybeans
Corn
Milo

Fall:
Wheat
Brassicas
Rape
Turnips
Raddishes
Sugar Beets

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-14-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

We're in NE Penna and turnips have been our biggest deer draw of all. We do clover in the spring and summer, but turnips are king summer into fall. Don't believe the talk about deer not eating them until the first frost either. Our deer ate the leaves in August and September. You can even do a clover and turnip mix. That way, in the spring, the clover will come up.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

checkout qdma blog, those guys know their food plot stuff.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used buck forage oats, with clover and turnips on the edges. You can't beat turnips in the late season. Deer literally dig in frozen dirt to get them. I've kill my two best buck by them in MN.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Spike

What is you DPSM? Forage beans wont have much for pods which are a great winter food source. Ag beans work great and give the deer pods for the winter.Plus they are much cheaper. You can also broadcast winter rye and or wheat into them as soon as they start to turn yellow which also gives them an added food in the beans. Do you have have any clover plots? I would consider clover also. The more food choices you give them the longer they will stick around. You need to think food for 12 months. Brassica's are also a good choice PTT,Daikon Radish,DER is a great combo. Peas,Oats and Crimson Clover planted together is another good choice. Remember the BIG picture when planting food plots..Deer need food all year long. Not just when your hunting them.Never plant rye grass.I cant express this strong enough. Rye grain is what you want. Most throw in grows have rye grass which will take over your plot..Go to your local mill buy your seed there and forget those over priced buck on the bag blends. As suggested above go to the QDMA Forum and check it out..Tons of great info on food plots and habitat improvement.

Last edited by Hoyt63; 01-17-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I tend to get long winded. I'll try not to !! I was skeptical when a few guys that I hunt with wanted to include purple-top turnips in our fall/winter mix back about 2009. I am a convert. Over the past 4 years we have increased the area that included turnips to about 8 acres last year. Because of the terrific results so far this season, we have decided to include turnips in the mix on all fields (42 +/- acres), and commit 10 or so acres to being planted with a large quantity of purple top turnips. I can attest that the deer will hit the leaves and roots, and do not wait until after frost to do so ! Last Thursday afternoon I sat more or less "pinned" in my stand for over an hour by 5 bucks, all 2-3 year old 6-7-8 pointers, ripping up turnips within 20-50 yards of me. So close I could hear them chewing. Before the sun set, there were 22 deer (13 does and 9 bucks) in that 2 acre field, all eating trunip leaves, stems and roots. Every field in which we have a substantial amount of turnips has been heavily used these past 4-5 weeks. Trail cameras confirm the obvious, mostly at night.

Last edited by Mojotex; 01-20-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I know I tend to get long winded. I'll try niot to !! I was skeptical when a few guys that I hunt with wanted to include purple-top turnips in our fall/winter mix back about 2009. I am a convert. Over the past 4 years we have increased the area that included turnips to about 8 acres last year. Because of the terrific results so far this season, we have decided to include turnips in the mix on all fields (42 +/- acres), and commit 10 or so acres to being planted with a large quantity of purple top turnips. I can attest that the deer will hit the leaves and roots, and do not wait until after frost to do so ! Last Thursday afternoon I sat more or less "pinned" in my stand for over an hour by 5 bucks, all 2-3 year old 6-7-8 pointers, ripping up turnips within 20-50 yards of me. So close I could hear them chewing. Before the sun set, there were 22 deer (13 does and 9 bucks) in that 2 acre field, all eating trunip leaves, stems and roots. Every field in which we have a substantial amount of turnips has been heavily used these past 4-5 weeks. Trail cameras confirm the obvious, mostly at night.
I live in and hunt in large ag tracts of corn,beans and alfalfa. The deer here by me dont touch PTT until the corn and beans are gone.This times out perfect for late season and winter food. I've had them dig through a foot of snow to get at them. Great tonnage from them and they dont freeze and get soft like a radish will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.