Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to make a new hunter a successful hunter >

How to make a new hunter a successful hunter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to make a new hunter a successful hunter

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to make a new hunter a successful hunter

This is how I did it with my kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elurOm5MYDw
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I am very good at it. Lots of people ask me to teach them how to hunt but it always turns out they just don't want to put the work in so I don't. I always say yes but then it turns out they don't really want to hunt....they just want me to take them out to kill something.

Hopefully my daughter (4) will be the first. She already wants to "help" every chance she gets so its looking good.

Just a pet peeve I guess. When I was a kid I would have gave my left arm and and walked 20 miles up hill just to go along. Now if I ask a kid if they want to go hunting they are like "yeah whatever"
Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I am very good at it. Lots of people ask me to teach them how to hunt but it always turns out they just don't want to put the work in so I don't. I always say yes but then it turns out they don't really want to hunt....they just want me to take them out to kill something.
Been there, done that... for several years... I hunt alone these days... I guess I'm not very good at it either...
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I should count myself as lucky then because the mentoring I do with the NWTF has been very rewarding with the kids and parents I've been involved with and taken out. I also had the best time of my whole three month five state trip this past season helping a 15 year old boy accompanied by his Dad get a 5x5 bull on the first bull tag he's drawn in Wyoming. It's really to the point now in my long hunting career that I'm having as much or more fun helping others than squeezing the trigger myself!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned

Don't force them. If they don't like it then they don't like it. I was the only one my dad took out to actually enjoy it.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I guess I should count myself as lucky then because the mentoring I do with the NWTF has been very rewarding with the kids and parents I've been involved with and taken out. I also had the best time of my whole three month five state trip this past season helping a 15 year old boy accompanied by his Dad get a 5x5 bull on the first bull tag he's drawn in Wyoming. It's really to the point now in my long hunting career that I'm having as much or more fun helping others than squeezing the trigger myself!
Sounds like you are getting people that are already showing the initiative.

Ive got a kid(wifes nephew) coming in the 18th. Seems like he is really ready to go. We'll see how it goes.

He went with me last year and we seen squat in the blistering cold and he is still ready to go again so that is a good sign.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I taught myself everything about bowhunting. It's a lot of learning from your mistakes. However I was committed to it after hunting waterfowl my entire life leading up to it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Spike

Topgun, I am with you if they want to learn and I can help I find it very rewarding. I took three people turkey hunting last year and we got all three of them their first bird but not everyone wants to put in the work.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport

Hopefully my daughter (4) will be the first. She already wants to "help" every chance she gets so its looking good.

Just a pet peeve I guess. When I was a kid I would have gave my left arm and and walked 20 miles up hill just to go along. Now if I ask a kid if they want to go hunting they are like "yeah whatever"
Step daughter hasn't got into deer hunting yet...she did kill a couple birds but deer hunting is much different...

I try to teach what I know...but when idiots don't follow your sound advice it makes it frustrating...and I lose patience quick!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
I taught myself everything about bowhunting. It's a lot of learning from your mistakes. However I was committed to it after hunting waterfowl my entire life leading up to it.
I'll say I learned a lot by bowhunting by myself...but I got lots of advice from forums and other bow hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.