Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Making your own scent killer/eliminator >

Making your own scent killer/eliminator

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making your own scent killer/eliminator

Old 10-02-2003, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Making your own scent killer/eliminator

Does anyone have a recipe for making this stuff? I know there is a way to make it yourself and would like to get ahold of the recipe for it. It sure has to be cheaper than $30+ a gallon. And I use a lot of it.
If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: Making your own scent killer/eliminator

I posted a similar message and got some good feedback from other hunters. I found accorns in the woods and wanted to use them for scent cover and attractant.

check out the feed back on page four of this forum with the question:
has anyone made an acorn scent yourself using real acorns?

hope this helps.

mbristol

Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 AM

I can' t vouch for this but I' ve heard it a few times I believe.

Get some wood and a match.
Make a fire.

Stand in the smoke.

Smoke is a common scent to Whitetails and doesn' t alarm them in the absence of fire (especially the weak smoke scent your clothing would give off).

I have done that this year. No deer yet but no indication of being busted yet either.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:45 AM

Sorry, my post was really a cover scent idea and not a scent killer / eliminator, as the poster requested. I have to read more carefully.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Spike

Here is the recipe I got from this site.

Ingredients for Homemade Scent Killer:
16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide 3%
16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water
1/4 cup baking soda
1 oz. unscented shampoo (I use Cabelas hunting shampoo)
Mix in a large bowl (don' t shake up in milk jug) so the baking soda dissolves)and pour into jug.
Let sit for several days, so the chemical reaction settles down, and don' t leave in a tightly sealed container! I use a gallon milk jug with a snap on cap
Old 10-12-2003, 01:03 PM

Let sit for several days, so the chemical reaction settles down
I was wondering if you leave it sit for too long does it ruin it?? Heres my situation say if I made it today and dont use it untill a month later will it still work?? Thank you
Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 AM

Yes.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:07 PM

i use any natural items that are close to my stands. if im hunting around pines i will break off branchs and rub the sap and needles on and around me and then hang them on the stand. same with acorns i will smash them and add water and let it sit for a day. there are all kinds of things you can use and they seem to work better then some of the products they sell. (one i do use is the scent waffers if i dont have anything else they have work very well for me.)
Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM

" Smoke is a common scent to Whitetails and doesn' t alarm them in the absence of fire (especially the weak smoke scent your clothing would give off). " "

So does this mean people that smoke cigeretts can smoke out in the woods while hunting!!?

All the info I have read off of this web site I have figured out how to make your own cover scent free and easy. There is a thread somewhere on here on relieving yourself in the woods. The vote for relieving yourself was the majoity saying do it at the stand or where ever you want, it wont bother the deer. So I have figured how to make your own scent. You guy' s on here can test it out and let us know how it works? Thanks
Take a pump spray bottle and piss in it. Then you can spray it on yourself before you hit the woods.

Troy
Old 10-13-2003, 08:21 PM

I use those little pine tree car fresheners. Just put about 10 of them all over your body. OK I' m just joking.

Quick Reply: Making your own scent killer/eliminator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.