Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This is why you let small deer walk >

This is why you let small deer walk

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This is why you let small deer walk

Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ThomasLRC
If you just want meat why not kill does? Usally people have too many of them anyways. I get 4 doe tags every year and still dont fill those because I couldnt even give that much meat away. I usually end up eating on deer the entire year and run out around the next season.
Because some states only allow you to take 1 deer a season and doe tags have to be drawn. And some people only get 1 or 2 weekends to hunt. Not everyone has the chance to take multiple deer. You are aware that there are 50 different states and each one has different rules and regulations aren't you?

As far as I'm concerned if it is a legal deer I have no problem with someone taking what they want. If they are happy with the deer they choose to shoot, then I'm happy for them and will say Well Done. If they choose to shoot a basket racked 5 or 6 point for meat, good for them. If they choose to let multiple bucks walk while looking for a big one, good for them. If they choose to only shoot does, good for them. Ultimately it is up to the individual hunter to decide what he/she wants to tag and I'll support whatever decision they make. And I hope they will show me the same courtesy.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Spike

I agree with the each their own mentality and that it truly is about the experience. Big bucks are not the reason I am in the woods, although it sure is exciting when you see one. However, I find it irritating when I hear hunters (people I know personally) complain about only harvesting small bucks. They shoot the first thing that walks by with antlers on it, then they see a large buck that someone else got and complain how they never get one. If a big buck is what you're after, you have to let the smaller bucks walk. They don't grow over night, it will take some time.

Perhaps we should take some of these posts and think "where applicable" because this is an international forum. I feel that it is implied that the posts are regarding the area the poster hunts unless otherwise stated. Though some people don't realize how much the regulations/bag limits vary state to state.

I also feel the mentioning of "if it's legal" should go without saying. I sure as heck do not condone poaching and I am all about fair chase. I am sure most on this forum are the same way. The mentioning of asking neighbors for permission to track deer goes the same way, it's basic hunting ethics/morals that should already be understood.

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 12-24-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The pics are very hard to see for me...I have made educated guess on one deer being the same one from the previous year but without a DNA test its impossible to tell for sure. Because the genes in the area are similar so are the bucks...unless you are on high fence farm where you know there are X amount of bucks etc....Like flags said...some will pass waiting on a bigger buck some want meat...and each state varies...I can get one deer tag...buck or doe depending on what part of the season it is...I primarily hunt for meat so for me I look for the biggest doe around before I take a yearling. The important thing is to get people out hunting...what they get is their choice...I for one am glad to see people out hunting.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with to each their own although it does get on my nerves when people shoot small bucks and complain about not having big bucks.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.Have you ever tried to cook those horns?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.Have you ever tried to cook those horns?
I agree with that statement. My deer jerky has gotten me much more gratitude and personal satisfaction than any set of antlers. Regarding trophy hunting, it never has been the antlers that draws me to hunting big bucks. It is the thrill of hunting mature elusive whitetails that makes me want to hold out for a bigger buck.

As long as you find happiness in your hunts then nothing else matters. Those who shoot little bucks and complain about never getting big bucks shound reevaluate their goals.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

It looks almost the same.. but just me. That's a good buck almost everywhere! Congrats