Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Asking permission?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Spike

Default Asking permission?

Looking to scout and find some new property to hunt and wanted to get everyone's opinion. What time of the year do you feel is best to scout and ask for permission for the following hunting season? I don't want to intrude on a farmers time as I know they are busy most of the year. Any suggestions are appreciated. This is for Nebraska.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up in north east CO. When I was trying to get on someone's property I usually started asking about mid Jan. Lots of times ranchers have issues with coyotes when the cows are calving in mid to late Mar. I've offered to help thin coyotes and been given permission for deer and antelope later. It also doesn't hurt to offer to help with some farm work. Spring planting can be busy and farmers will often appreciate an offer to help.

Don't bother them during harvest or the week before a season opens.

Last edited by flags; 12-21-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

From now until early Spring, as Flags mentioned, is probably the best time when their work is as minimal as it will ever be and offering help like he mentioned will never hurt whether they turn it down or not.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I grew up in north east CO. When I was trying to get on someone's property I usually started asking about mid Jan. Lots of times ranchers have issues with coyotes when the cows are calving in mid to late Mar. I've offered to help thin coyotes and been given permission for deer and antelope later. It also doesn't hurt to offer to help with some farm work. Spring planting can be busy and farmers will often appreciate on offer to help.

Don't bother them during harvest or the week before a season opens.
You can't improve on perfection and Flags covered it perfectly. Good job!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

anything after deer season is over... worst time is a month or two before deer season in your area as many wait till the last minute...and expect to get on someones property
Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen to "Flags". Sweat equity can go a long way towards building a good relationship and the trust factor between you and the land owner.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

also to add and will go along way. Offer to help the farmer some as well. Bush hogging the edge of his fields in late summer is great for scouting and 1 helluva load off him.