Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bionic Deer

Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Spike

Default Bionic Deer

I shot a deer this weekend and made a good shot through both lungs and a shoulder with a .270. There was a massive amount of lung blood up to 15 feet behind him and up in the trees 4-5 feet. Even after all that it ran almost 100 yards leaving a trail that Ray Charles could have followed. I just kept thinking he was going to be right up here. Finally did find him but was baffling he went as far as he did.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been there fishhound. One time I killed a deer that ran 100+ yards hit in the vitals with a 12 gauge sabot slug. I followed that blood trail by blood sprayed on the trees. This year I killed a deer that flipped over dead on the spot from a .357 magnum rifle which is supposedly a weak deer caliber. Terminal ballistics never ceases to amaze me.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I've rarely had a deer die in its tracks.
I've killed quite a few with a 270 and 130 grain bullets. Lung shot deer usually went 40 to 60 yards and left a good blood trail.
None were bionic and all were recovered.
I wouldn't consider the OP's experience a problem.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a doe in the heart and she ran 30yds up a small hill and expired...I watched as blood was spurting out both sides...
Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Spike

All but 2 of my deer have dropped in their tracks. They've been shot with either 7mm mag or 308, with 150 gr bullet. Last years buck went down, but after about 10 min he got up and ran and I put another shot on him and that was it. It was not the best shot setup walking up a hill, away fom me aou 150 yards away. The bullet entered right behindnthe shoulders on the left side and exited thru its neck. The second shot was thru the spine which ended it. The other was a 180 yd shot with the 308. The deer went down, but I didn't wait and as i walked up to the deer it got up and ran. Lots of blood and tracked for about 2 miles. Sadly I followed fresh boot tracks along with the blood and only a gut pile at the end.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

.270 is a high velocity round. You need to match the bullet to the game. Same for many of the .30 cal guns. There is such a thing as overkill in this regard.

My guess is your bullet passed through both lungs without expending much of it's energy or expansion, basically punching a very small hole in both sides and the lungs.

Match the bullet so it expands inside the deer making a bigger and bigger hole on the way through.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

.243 typically knocks them over, and they don't get up.

Reading the internet, there are so many stories about big guns, and deer running for miles.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The weirdest thing I ever saw was a guy shoot a doe with a 12 gauge slug and she took off running like nothing had happened. The blood trail was unreal and she went almost 200 yards before dropping. When Dad and I went up to help the guy gut and drag the doe out we found the slug had blown her heart in half!!! I would not believe it to this day if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The weirdest thing I ever saw was a guy shoot a doe with a 12 gauge slug and she took off running like nothing had happened. The blood trail was unreal and she went almost 200 yards before dropping. When Dad and I went up to help the guy gut and drag the doe out we found the slug had blown her heart in half!!! I would not believe it to this day if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!
The reason, they say, is the slugs do not have the terminal shock that a speeding bullet has. I read about this a while ago. It's very interesting reading material.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
The reason, they say, is the slugs do not have the terminal shock that a speeding bullet has. I read about this a while ago. It's very interesting reading material.
Precisely.
Little or no hydrostatic effect.
Like shooting a big rat with a .22 pellet gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.