Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got any field dressing tips?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default Got any field dressing tips?

Been hunting a long time fellas, but usually have hunting buddies available and we always lend one another a helping hand.

Anyone have any tips for field dressing a deer alone? Having someone there to simply hold back the hind leg makes a huge difference. But when there not what do you do to make things go a little smoother?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

No need to use another person for help. The whole thing takes less than a couple of minutes. I kneel down between the back legs using my body to keep them spread and start the cut. I don't go deep enough to cut through the membrane. After it is cut from brisket to anus I go through the diaphram and cut loose the espophogus and heart/ liver then cut the membrane and pull from the chest and dump the intestines out either on the side or pull them out between the rear legs. Everything inside has to come outside. Make sure to take care of the bladder and not leave it in to leak onto the meat.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like CI said, use your body to keep hind legs apart. I like to cut around the anus first and get that severed. Afterwards, I'll cut around the buck's penis and get that securely out of the way while being mindful not to cut the tube holding urine. Finally, I'll focus on cutting up the middle to get the esophagus severed and cut and pull until it all comes loose.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with chaz. Usr your body to keep legs spread and start with the sphincter. Once that is fully loosened you shouldn't have a problem getting everything to pull out.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Funny how we all can have our own methods but end up with a good product. I always start at the brisket which is certainly contrary to what a lot of people do. It was the way I was taught when I was a kid 50 years ago and has always worked out well for me on over one hundred deer I have dressed out. I do cut around the anus but do it last and then do what I call the rotocram. I take a small branched stick and stick the straight end through the anus from the body cavity and twist it around and then pull the "plug" out through the anus. I know they have a plastic tool for that but I just use whatever is available next to the deer to accomplish that. Doing a larger animal like an elk is something else. Lots of pressure going on even after a few minutes and if you nick the guts it is green slime time all over your face. Thank goodness we figured out the gutless method after the first elk trip where we ended up covered. Now it is easy as pie and you never even get close to the innerds.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once you have done a few animals it gets to where you can do it with your eyes closed. I have used the gutless method on most animals out west for the last few years since all are being broken down and backpacked out to the truck or camp anyway. I did or helped on 2 bulls and 2 cows along with 3 antelope in Wyoming and a mulie buck in NM this year and didn't get any blood past my wrists, which is a normal thing most of the time after cleaning big game for some 50 years now.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gutless method is the only one I use. Less mess, meat all ready to pack, no bones to fool with, head, hide hooves and bones stay where the animal fell. I figure that's the coyote's share anyways.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the butt-out tool. That's the first thing I do. Once I get the belly opened up, I take my knife and rip it up the rib cage just beside the sternum as far as I can go, cut the esophagus and trachea, grab it and pull down as I free the other organs with my knife. Once the vitals are free I just pull out the rest by the trachea only cutting as needed. Works like a charm. I leave the bladder in the animal as I see no reason to risk puncturing it.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

i like the buttout tool too. I drag the deer so its head is up hill, do the buttout, tie it off. I start below the ribs and go down, cut off the reproductive parts, cut around the anus and then roll the deer over on its side and let all the guts out.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i like the buttout tool too. I drag the deer so its head is up hill, do the buttout, tie it off. I start below the ribs and go down, cut off the reproductive parts, cut around the anus and then roll the deer over on its side and let all the guts out.
Point of the buttout tool is that it removes the anus for you. If it's not coming out with the intestines, you're not doing something quite right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.